OnlyOffice or Collabora?

They removed the features beforehand and now they made a blog post on their site after quite some outrage:

https://www.onlyoffice.com/blog/2020/03/integration-edition-at-home-10-users-for-99-per-year/

Am I imagining things? Mobile editing seems to be working again for OO community edition through the OO apps on Android and iOS, but not through the Nextcloud apps. Can someone else check please? Iā€™m cautiously optimistic.

OO Document Server version 5.5.1.76
OO Community Server version 10.5.2.1048

OO Android version 4.0.0 - editing reenabled
OO iOS version 6.1 - editing reenabled

NC Android version 3.11.0 - viewing only
NC iOS version 2.25.9 - viewing only

EDIT: Working for word processor, spreadsheet, but not presentations on both Android and IOS OO apps.

I will say 3 things on this.

• My server with NC 17, Collabora, coTURN, MariaDB, Redis, and an Apache reverse proxy is consuming 1.3 GB RAM.
  • Collabora is lacking some core features, such as being able to drag/rearrange spreadsheet rows/columns.
  • I was really looking forward to the OO integration in NC 18, however now I refuse to use it due to the stealth removal of features right after NC released the integrated document server. I will not support a company that paywalls existing features from open source software.
2 Likes

Read the previous post. Iā€™m waiting on confirmation, or otherwise, from other NC-OO users. If itā€™s working for others, it may be that Ascensio System SIA are ready to reverse their decision on mobile editing, but thereā€™s no official announcement yet.

They wonā€™t reverse they will provide a cheaper edition for contributors that will allow 10 connections and the mobile edit

I canā€™t explain why mobile editing on OO apps is working for me today, but not in the preceeding days. Something has changed.

EDIT: Iā€™m not a contributer.

For the contributors they get a licence for the OnlyOffice Document server that will allow editing files inside Nextcloud.

You are talking about the separate app that isnā€™t convenient at all because you leave the Nc app for editing.

It wasnā€™t working for me in the separate apps in the preceding days either. That was one of the first things I tested to see if I could circumvent the NC app restriction. If I have to leave the NC app to use the OO app for mobile editing, I can live with that.

They opened the edition on OO app because it will be a non-sense to donā€™t do it.
Microsoft apps donā€™t accept editing for a while on non-subscribers users on mobile. What the point to download the OO app if it will also need subscription for editing.

Confirmed, editing inside the app works again. What a bunch of looney tunesā€¦ :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Android App Version 4.0.0 Build 192. It seems like the editing isnā€™t done on the server side anymore, but directly inside the client.

1 Like

I wouldnā€™t get too excited until thereā€™s an official announcement. The OO website still says mobile viewers only so it could be that something ā€˜brokeā€™ and itā€™s to our advantage for the moment.

I was of the understanding that editing was done on client side for OnlyOffice (thick client) and on the server side for Collabora (thin client).

Can someone on the forum from OO confirm one way or the other please about the status of mobile editing for Collabora CODE?

The text for the mobile app on the Play Store doesnā€™t mention any restrictions and it would be a bit silly to restrict mobile editing on a cloud storage while still allowing editing on local storage (where you could download a file from the Nextcloud client and then reupload it or directly access the Nextcloud folder through the files app). Sure, no collaboration features then but at least mobile editing.

My concern is that what was taken away once could just as easily be taken away again. An official word would ally my concerns and clarify the current situation.