[Onlyoffice] Good news: Public editing is now possible! New app version released

Hello community,

For everyone who was heavily awaiting this feature - like I did - I would like to share very good news!
Just in case you would have missed it otherwise :slight_smile:

A new version of the onlyoffice app was released today and with this version public editing (editing via public links) of office files is now possible!

The related feature request on Github was closed today:

If that feature was the reason you chose Collabora over Onlyoffice, now is the right time to try out Onlyoffice (again) :smiley:

I directly tested that feature and can confirm that it works - even with multiple users accessing and editing the file.
Thanks a lot Sergey Linnik!

One thing to note though: when guests access the office file for editing, there will be an Error in the nextcloud log:

OC\User\NoUserException: Backends provided no user object

0. [internal function] OC\Files\Node\Root->getUserFolder('uid-176533493...')
1. /var/www/nextcloud/lib/private/Files/Node/LazyRoot.php - line 64: call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
2. /var/www/nextcloud/lib/private/Files/Node/LazyRoot.php - line 281: OC\Files\Node\LazyRoot->__call('getUserFolder', Array)
3. /var/www/nextcloud/apps/onlyoffice/controller/callbackcontroller.php - line 430: OC\Files\Node\LazyRoot->getUserFolder('uid-15217356593...')
4. /var/www/nextcloud/apps/onlyoffice/controller/callbackcontroller.php - line 363: OCA\Onlyoffice\Controller\CallbackController->getFile('uid-176533493...', 36827)
5. [internal function] OCA\Onlyoffice\Controller\CallbackController->track('SUdpMEh0VVhHUld...', Array, '36827_150273998...', 2, 'https //office....')
6. /var/www/nextcloud/lib/private/AppFramework/Http/Dispatcher.php - line 161: call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
7. /var/www/nextcloud/lib/private/AppFramework/Http/Dispatcher.php - line 91: OC\AppFramework\Http\Dispatcher->executeController(Object(OCA\Onlyoffice\Controller\CallbackController), 'track')
8. /var/www/nextcloud/lib/private/AppFramework/App.php - line 115: OC\AppFramework\Http\Dispatcher->dispatch(Object(OCA\Onlyoffice\Controller\CallbackController), 'track')
9. /var/www/nextcloud/lib/private/AppFramework/Routing/RouteActionHandler.php - line 47: OC\AppFramework\App main('OCA\\Onlyoffice\\...', 'track', Object(OC\AppFramework\DependencyInjection\DIContainer), Array)
10. [internal function] OC\AppFramework\Routing\RouteActionHandler->__invoke(Array)
11. /var/www/nextcloud/lib/private/Route/Router.php - line 297: call_user_func(Object(OC\AppFramework\Routing\RouteActionHandler), Array)
12. /var/www/nextcloud/lib/base.php - line 998: OC\Route\Router->match('/apps/onlyoffic...')
13. /var/www/nextcloud/index.php - line 37: OC handleRequest()
14. {main}

I blieve this error message is totally benign, because I didn’t notice any downsides or issues.
I’m not sure who should take care of this message though; Onlyoffice or Nextcloud.

1 Like

Is this still working for anyone with NC16 and the latest Onlyoffice?

I remember that it used to work and there was a “open with onlyoffice” button on the shared public link, but now that I have set up a new NC16 instance with the latest Docker image for OnlyOffice all I get is a download link.

Maybe there is a setting I missed or something like that?

I’m running Nextcloud 16.0.1 from the zip file, and I recently upgraded OnlyOffice Document Server to version 5.3.1-26 from the Debian Squeeze repo. The “Open in ONLYOFFICE” button is still working on shared public links for me. I’m not running anything in Docker though.

@alankeny that is really strange as that sound pretty similar to my setup.

There must be a sharing setting somewhere that prevents this. I tried enabling public uploads but that doesn’t help either.

Ahh, if I share a folder it still works, albeit then there is no “Open with ONLYOFFICE” button, but just a regular file view.

Really odd…

Reading the Github issue I understand that it is possible for public users to read and comment the documents via OnlyOffice.
Instead it is NOT possible to edit them.
Does someone has a different experience?