OnlyOffice Community Edition without 20 connections limitation

Hello,

After one year of using Nextcloud and OnlyOffice, I just discovered that CommunityEdition has a limit for 20 user connections (20 docs or 20 diff users) wich is not great for me…

We are more and more users each day (around 30 users at the moment) ; and I have to make it work for more people…

So my question is : did some people have rebuild the code to remove this limitation ??

I quickly looked into the DocumentServer code and I guessed that the variable LICENSE_CONNECTIONS (in server/common/sources) is the one that we have to change.

At the moment I use the docker image so i will be happy to keep going with docker image

Thanks for your answers and help !

3 Likes

hey… maybe you want to take a look here on how to setup your own machine without any limitations?

and the i remember having read extensivly about a limitation to 20 users/10 docs (forum would know more abou it)

Thanks but the link you gave is about CollaboraOnline and not OnlyOffice :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Yep alot of people are talking about this limitation but in my readings, i didn’t find no one who gave some hints about facing the limitation for OnlyOffice

oopps… i was searching for onlyoffice limitation 20 - and got this one so that i didn’t really look closer about which officesuite it was. sorry, my bad.

but maybe you want to search the forum yourself again to find out more about it. i am pretty sure there have been discussions about it here widely.

or maybe you’re gonna come to the conclusion to give the ppl at onlyoffice a try and at least call them for an offer? :wink:

good luck

OnlyOffice is a payed software, the limitations for 20 Users is because of the free community edition. If you need more connections you need to pay for a license, to hack around the license limitations in the free edition is certainly not legitimate.

I’m no pro in license but the code of the CommunityServer is under GNU GPL (find it here) which means I can modify the code and redistribute it.

I use Nextcloud and OnlyOffce for ethical reasons, getting out of Google and encouraging free software. I’m really not against making money with free software, but it is in my rights to modify the code if I want to :slight_smile:

6 Likes

@quentingrap maybe here https://dev.onlyoffice.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=20600&p=27791&hilit=limitation#p27791 is a better place to put your question. or better send an email to sales@onlyoffice.com.

1 Like

Ok thanks for the link, i didn’t knwow this forum.
I reply to this thread and hope my reply will be accepted

I’m gonna try to follow this tutorial and change the good variable

I am not so sure emailing their sales team to ask about removing the limit from the source code will be a fruitful endeavor…

1 Like

I had errors following the tutorial. I opened this issue on github and i just receive help, i’m gonna check that…

it’s the only reliable source for his question. :wink:

1 Like

Was there any progress with this?

Nope :confused:
Last time i checked, installation was buggy, documentation was not clear enough…
I will be glad to hear if someone succeed

Same case as you.
It’s a shame when documentation isn’t up to date.
Only good technician can build OnlyOffice correctly.
Therefore i don’t have touch yet the limitation. But i prefer to be docker-INdependant rather than using it.

Try the new php based Document Server “Lite” that was just announced today:
https://apps.nextcloud.com/apps/documentserver_community

Although I doubt that it will work better with 20 simultanious users.

Ooh it’s part of the new annoucement about Nextcloud Hub I guess ? To more easyly integrate Onlyoffice.

I just download the code and there’s the limitation of 20 MAX_CONNECTIONS… in php file, maybe more easy to change :wink:

2 Likes

Hey,
we’d love to see this solved and could support it with some money…

So please keep us posted on the process. :slight_smile:

This isn’t an issue to solve. It’s easily done by changing a single number in the source code.

The limit is there basically to ensure quality of service.

Unless you really know what you are doing and have setup a serious server (cluster), anything more that 20 simultaneous users is unrealistic, especially with the new simplified php version.

However, I am really wondering who sets up a home system with more that 20 simultaneous users? That seems already like a high limit even for most small companies.
And if you need more than that, you should really first learn a bit more about servers and how to do simple code edits and recompile a webapp :slight_smile:

1 Like

Please read the full story of quentin.

He tried to recompile the document server several times but never succeed.

The fact that OnlyOffice is open source but nobody succeed to recompile it is a problem anyway.

4 Likes

+1
I also have the same problem about compiling.
@Krischan tell me how you compile OnlyOffice Document Server ? I’ll glad if you succeed.
For the moment, my biggest client have 50 Nextcloud users and never reached the 20´ limit. So i’m not in a hurry about compiling OO