Only MP4 seems supported

Hi,

I do not know if this is the right topic but i have a question.

When I am home then i have NC 12 running on linux mint 18.2 KDE 64-bit, when i playback some video then some extentions are not supported. MP4 is fine but MKV or AVI are not.

However, When i am away and access the UI then the video playback is as normal. (this is on a windows pc).

What should i install on linux to get it supported?

Nextcloud version (eg, 10.0.2): 12.0.2
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 16.04): Linux Mint 18.* 64 bit
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25): Apache
PHP version (eg, 5.6): 7.*
Is this the first time you’ve seen this error?: No

Can you reliably replicate it? (If so, please outline steps):
Just playback a video other then MP4

Extra info: firefox 55.0.2

/thanks :slight_smile:

Hi,

Which file format is supported for playback totally depends on the browser you’re using.
You could try the same browser on Mint that you use on Windows for viewing MKV and AVI files - hoping that the browser has the same video file support on unix like it has on Windows.

Edit: oh, missed the point that you are using Firefox on both systems. I agree with JimmyKater: then the codecs are probably missing on Mint.

looks as if you need to install mkv / avi-support to your local machine.

while we are at it. is someone able to play m4a files with the android app? I’m not.

try equalizer music player free

does not work. i guess lineageos is missing something. it worked at some point a few months back.

thanks and cheers

darn :frowning:

but maybe you wanna put this question in the forums of lineageOS?

I guess so. Thanks anyways. :slight_smile:

Intermediate solution:

find -name “*.m4a” -exec ffmpeg -i {} -acodec libmp3lame -ab 320k {}.mp3 ;
for i in m4a; do [[ -e ${i/.m4a/""} ]] || mv “$i” “${i/.m4a/”"}"; done

1 Like

Hi all,

Thank you for your support. I dove into the browser and support for the formats. I did find this:

But that doesn’t explain why it is not functioning…

Is VLC something missing?

So i am able to post 1 image per post so i try again:

AVI: standard use: VLC
MKV: standard use: VLC

I have to download these files and they are opened in VLC. Is VLC be able to play in a browser?

I wonder…

So many thanks for the support. :slight_smile:

Source: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTML/Supported_media_formats

Apparently not…

As to plugins… Firefox does not support / allow third party plugins in its browser.

Chromium does play the MKV format but do not AVI (I believe AVI is Microsoft)

It is way above my head so i will leave it at this… As I understand it, i cannot play these formats and I have to separately download them to play.

Again, thanks.