One-Time-Password to e-mail, so user can download files from a folder

Hi,

need some advice because I am unsure: I want to share a folder with a group with known e-mail addresses. If a user wants to download the files in this folder, she/he gives her/his e-mail address and receives a one-time password per e-mail on this address. With this password she/he can log in once to the folder on my Nextcloud and is able to download the files.

Which Nextcloud app could I use to achieve this? Is there an app?

I am stuck and would appreciate a hint.

Thank you very much.

The share function is part of the base package and doesn’t require an additional app to be installed. Just configure the share function as you want, set e.g. if a password is required by default or how long a share should be valid, and then share a file/folder.

A given password is always valid for the defined period of time and therefore isn’t a real on-time-password.

1 Like

Yepp I found this. But I want to send the password to the user automatcally when he enters his e-mail address into a field. Then he gets an e-mail with the passwort that is valid for one day to enter this folder. Is this possible?

No automatic email option is available (yet?), so just the manual method is all you can do now - creating the password and sharing it via a separate mechanism.

1 Like

Perhaps you like the Guests App. You do not need a password because the user defines the password. Because of security reason it makes no sense to send a url and a password to the same email-address (in one or two emails). That is stupid.

It also makes no sense to define a only-one-download. Afterwards the user can copy all million times.
If you need it search “burn after reading” e.g. https://privatebin.net
Also search Jirafeau and FileShelter
Would be a nice nextcloud app. Perhaps someone like to program it.

Perhaps you can write a cron process to delete all guest users at midnight :wink:
Also you can delete manually the guest users or the shares to guests.

https://apps.nextcloud.com/apps/guests

2 Likes