Official Chrome Extension & Official Microsoft Edge Extension freezes

I use both extensions on two different devices, one on windows 10 with edge browser and one on windows 11 with chrome and since the last days the extensions freezes on both devices (so it cant be a coincidence) after putting the password in. I have nothing changed. My nextcloud server wasnt updated or anything was changed since 2 weeks. Its probably the last Browser update on version 104 which messed something up.
I tried it on my other pc before and after the update, and after the update of chrome the bug occured again.

Hmm… I don’t use Chrome or Edge… but I was not aware of any “official” browser extension clients.

Lol there are definitely official extensions for most browsers…This has also been happening to me as of about a week ago. Once you sign in the extension is unresponsive for about 2-3 minutes, then proceeds to work normally. Very strange but something outside of our server instances has changed recently.

Passwords for Nextcloud Browser Extension - Chrome Web Store (google.com)

Extension seems not to work with latest Chromium based browsers (tried Chromium and Chrome) on my Pop!_OS systems (desktop and laptop). Maybe I give Firefox a shot.

Same issue here with Chromium on Kubuntu and the Passwords extension installed from Chrome Web Store (2.2.4.4461 from Apr 1 as per Passwords for Nextcloud Browser Extension - Chrome Web Store ) for a couple of days now, and I’d also strongly suggest that the 104 update changed something that caused this behavior.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the extension, then setting it up again from scratch, but to no avail regarding this issue.

I also noticed that one Chromium process running the extension as per Chromium task manager utilizes 100% of one CPU core while in its unresponsive state/hanging. Out of curiosity, I ran an strace -p on it, and it appears to hang in a loop waiting for some resource to become available. These lines repeat on and on:

getpid()                                = 1
futex(0x7f8665efc540, FUTEX_WAKE_PRIVATE, 2147483647) = 1
futex(0x7f8665efc4f0, FUTEX_WAKE_PRIVATE, 1) = 1
futex(0x55d25c2942e8, FUTEX_WAKE_PRIVATE, 1) = 1
futex(0x55d25bbfbc38, FUTEX_WAIT_PRIVATE, 2, NULL) = -1 EAGAIN (Resource temporarily unavailable)
futex(0x55d25bbfbc38, FUTEX_WAKE_PRIVATE, 1) = 0

This is very interesting. It seems as though once this process times out the extension will begin to function normally, but this time varies.

Using the app directly as well through Passwords on iOS has no unexpected behavior so this most definitely points to being update 104 related.

This seems to be this bug: Crashes/unresponsive since Chrome 104 · Issue #230 · marius-wieschollek/passwords-webextension · GitHub . A developer version of the extension with a fix should be available in the chrome web store soon.

1 Like

This exactly. I tested the development release ( Passwords for Nextcloud Browser Extension - Chrome Web Store ) and it works fine again. Hope it will be published as a new version in the regular/stable release channel too.