Office Online error message "Something went wrong"

Describe the bug
When trying to open a document, I am getting the below error:

Something went wrong and we couldn’t load this content. Refreshing the browser may fix the problem.

Session ID: 00ea8c99-9971-49b8-bf2a-7d18a81804bb

I have tried this with both a new document created in nextcloud as well as a document that was already created with content that was uploaded to next cloud. I also tried this with new Excel and PowerPoint files all with the same result.

To Reproduce
Steps to reproduce the behavior:

  1. Install Office Online
  2. Configure it to point to the correct URL
  3. Open a document.
  4. Error received

Expected behavior
The document to open in Word Online

Screenshots
image

Client details:

  • OS: Windows 10
  • Browser: Microsoft Edge Dev
  • Version 88.0.705.9 (Official build) dev (64-bit)
  • Device: Desktop

Server details

Operating system: Ubuntu 20.04

Web server: Apache (VirtualMin)

Database: MySQL

PHP version: 7.4

Nextcloud version: 20.02

Version of the officeonline app 1.0.1

Version of Office Online server 2019

Something I did notice was when I view the browser’s developer tools network tab, I seen this:

https://office.domain.tld/we/wordeditorframe.aspx?WOPISrc=https%3A%2F%2Fhub.domain.tld%2Findex.php%2Fapps%2Fofficeonline%2Fwopi%2Ffiles%2F158652_oc0pvcwbiol5&title=test.docx&lang=en&closebutton=1&revisionhistory=1

When I use Bing’s awesome URL decoder, I see the WOPISrc is set to https://hub.domain.tld/index.php/apps/officeonline/wopi/files/158652_oc0pvcwbiol5

When I visit that URL this is what I see. And that is for a document that already existed and had data in it.

:frowning:

Bumping?..

I can confirm the issue is still happening with Nextcloud version 20.0.4 and app version 1.0.2

Not really helping here but I have the same issue.
I get a different error for every application:
afbeelding
afbeelding
For word it is the same error.

My Office Online Server is installed on an server 2016.

Is it possible to successfully use an Office Online Server with NextCloud?

Glad to see I am not the only one out there. I assume it is possible because of some of the other posts I see regarding the subject, but still not working for me. I updated to Nextcloud 20.0.7 and made sure all my apps was fully updated and same issue…

And if I visit the URL that the Office Online server is asked to access, I still get “[]” as the result. And still no response from anyone other than you on this subject.

https://hub.domain.com/index.php/apps/officeonline/wopi/files/158652_oc0pvcwbiol5&title=test.docx

I know its not my Office Online server because a) the screenshot above and b) if I open a file on my file share using the office online server, it works as expected.

I have got it working in my case.
The problem was my office online server wasn’t using the same TLS as my Nextcloud.

I used this guide to disable TLS 2.0.

I have exactly the same error. Ive disabled TLS 2.0 as per the guide but to no avail. Any other suggestions?

Confirmed still an issue with Nextcloud 20.0.0 and Office Online app 1.0.3.

I also noticed some odd behavior… I can change the “file id” (highlighted below what I am talking about) to any random characters I want and I still get the same result - [].

In my case I tracked the problem to my OOS virtual machine. It did not have access to the internet so was unable to load the files from the nextcloud server.

At least on my setup it does not go over the internal network: OOS need to access the public address.

I can confirm that it my setup is now working, even though I still observe the same empty results at the WOPI end point

  1. Save the below text as enable-tls1-2.reg and import it into the server.
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\.NETFramework\v4.0.30319]
"SchUseStrongCrypto"=dword:00000001
  1. The next step is to disable down level protocols. Again, save the below text as force-tls1-2.reg and import it into each OOS server.
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurityProviders\SCHANNEL\Protocols]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurityProviders\SCHANNEL\Protocols\PCT 1.0]
@="DefaultValue"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurityProviders\SCHANNEL\Protocols\PCT 1.0\Server]
@="DefaultValue"
"Enabled"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurityProviders\SCHANNEL\Protocols\SSL 2.0]
@="DefaultValue"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurityProviders\SCHANNEL\Protocols\SSL 2.0\Server]
@="DefaultValue"
"Enabled"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurityProviders\SCHANNEL\Protocols\SSL 3.0]
@="DefaultValue"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurityProviders\SCHANNEL\Protocols\SSL 3.0\Server]
@="DefaultValue"
"Enabled"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurityProviders\SCHANNEL\Protocols\TLS 1.0]
@="DefaultValue"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurityProviders\SCHANNEL\Protocols\TLS 1.0\Server]
@="DefaultValue"
"Enabled"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurityProviders\SCHANNEL\Protocols\TLS 1.1]
@="DefaultValue"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurityProviders\SCHANNEL\Protocols\TLS 1.1\Server]
@="DefaultValue"
"Enabled"=dword:00000000
  1. Lunch PowerShell as admin
  2. iisreset
  3. Test

For more info you can read this post via the url SP2016 with Office Online 2016

I tested this today on my setup and it works.