Odroid HC4 NCP support thread

thanks for the info. Probably the Armbian code I used to build this image wasnā€™t all that mature. I am sure that the next image will contain all those fixes from them, including the right kernel. This is a pretty new board after all.

2 Likes

is there anything we can do to help?
can we build an updated image ourselves?
how?

My solution was a deep-dive from starting point zero into debian, software installtion and mounting sata devices.

You can do it with the Armbian Buster Image. Itā€™s not very easy but more likely to do than install the server and all needed software packages by yourself.

At least the Image that is provided here should be updated.

thanks for the hint, Jan,
but Iā€™d prefer having a working Nextcloudpi odroidHC4 image that supports the HC4 sata.
alot peeps wont even get that far installing armbian and installing NCP by the installation script afterwards

Hello to everyone,
I am very new to networking. Iā€™ve been trying to set up Nextcloud for a week. I tried with DuckDSns over OMV5 but failed.
I tried your Nextcloudpi image for HC4, it is incompatible with petitboot.
I installed Debian 10 with Netboot installer via Petitboot.
I did a clean installation with the command ā€œ# curl -sSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/nextcloud/nextcloudpi/master/install.sh | bashā€.
This time I could not access WebUI either. I tried to make some settings with TUI but could not enable WebUI.

I have a few questions.
-I want to use nexcloud with http, is that possible? (I already have OMV5 for NAS, it works fine.)
-For a newbie to networking, am I going to have an adventure without consequences?
-Is it useful to get External Static IP from ISP to use Nextcloud with http. Duckdns is enough?
-Installing Nextcloudpi on a system installed with clean Debian 10 is the ideal installation for you.

Edit:
I did the Minimal Debian 10 clean install again. I had previously installed Nextcloudpi with SSH with my other odroid-N2 + device and had the problems I mentioned above. Now I have installed Nextcloudpi via HC4 and the problem has been resolved. I had to be logged in as root.

Now I will experiment with Https and Duckdns, I hope everything goes well. :smiley:

for the petitboot incompatibility check this one:

Thanks for your answer,

I finally got Nextcloud running via OMV5, now everything is fine.
I have a good relationship with Petitboot, I love using it. I like being able to browse through other OSes.

With @tobetterin debian 10, I set up a setup that works well and stably.
I opened a thread for this in Odroid-Forum, it can be a guide for those who need help.

Are there any news to this by now?

hey nachoparker,
is there anything we can do to support you on building the image for HC4?

is this project still active?

yes sir

Everytime there is a new release I rebuild all images, so the issue should go away. There is always the option to install NCP on the latest armbian image using softy

I just built an image using the script in the git and, sadly, it doesnt boot from sata if I just flash an SSD with the image.

Does the build script
./build-SD-armbian.sh odroidhc4
pull the latest armbian image or can I try and flash armbian and then use the curl installer?

Had a look at armbianā€™s odroid hc4 page

Where it is mentioned that

Important: To be able to boot clean Armbian mainline based u-boot / kernel experiences, you need to remove incompatible Petitboot loader that is shipped with the board. From the Petitboot, go for ā€œExit to shellā€ and these commands to remove the Petitboot:

# flash_eraseall /dev/mtd0
# flash_eraseall /dev/mtd1
# flash_eraseall /dev/mtd2
# flash_eraseall /dev/mtd3

This will make your SPI flash memory empty and would start from SD on next boot.

In case you want to put Petitboot back to the board, user those instructions.

I remember doing this when it first came out and not being able to boot from SATA still, go figure as it explicitly says it will try to boot from SD-card.

Before trying anything like that his time I found the ā€œpb-updateā€ command in the shell and will update.

Ok, updating petitboot only made petitboot a bit more legible but no difference in outcome.

I tried erasing the SPI flash memory but it seems I would need to put /boot on an sdcard and point it to root on the SSD for that solution to work.

Thereā€™s a solution offered on the armbian forums that basically describes this setup. Install to SD, then migrate to SSD using nand-sata-install.

Iā€™m gonna try this for now but would be nice with a petitboot script. Might look at how other distros do it and see if itā€™s not too hard to adapt their scripts.

seems thereā€™s finally a new release:
NextCloudPi_OdroidHC4_10-08-21
with alot hope, I downloaded and prepared the SD,
then tried to boot the odroidHC4 (which was bought about a year ago to use with NCP - but failed to see the SATA drives)
too bad the device doesnā€™t boot at all ā€¦ :cry:
odroidHC4 is going to ebay now, not wanting to wait another yearā€¦
NCP is a great project, but itā€™s not for odroidHC4, I guess

btw, the result is identical with the NextCloudPi_OdroidHC2_10-08-21 on a odroidHC2 :cry: :cry:
so odroidHC 's are not supported anymore?
ā€“correction:
after flashing NextCloudPi_OdroidHC2_11-27-20 and seeing the NCP in the net, I reflashed the SD with NextCloudPi_OdroidHC2_10-08-21 and this time it seems to work ?!?!

flashing the SD with Armbian_21.08.1_Odroidhc4_bullseye_current_5.10.60 works, however trying to install NCP with the curl command ends up with:

Installing NextCloudPiā€¦
ERROR: distro not supported:
Armbian 21.08.3 Bullseye \l

sorry, but Iā€™m very frustratected nowā€¦

Armbian odroidHC4
buster 5.10.y works with curl installation

well, I donā€™t own an odroid HC4 so I rely on user feedback, if instead of selling it on ebay you give me feedback then I can try to fix it for everyone

Sure, Iā€™m glad to help,
what feedback do you need?
with the HC4 image the device does not boot at all

I bought an Odroid HC4 last week when I saw the new release 10-08-21. But unfortunately I get the same problem as FraZon. The device doesnā€™t boot. How can I give you a feedback nachoparker? Thanks

does the regular armbian image boot? I donā€™t have the board