Notifications spotty, not aggressive enough

Support intro

Sorry to hear you’re facing problems :slightly_frowning_face:

help.nextcloud.com is for home/non-enterprise users. If you’re running a business, paid support can be accessed via portal.nextcloud.com where we can ensure your business keeps running smoothly.

In order to help you as quickly as possible, before clicking Create Topic please provide as much of the below as you can. Feel free to use a pastebin service for logs, otherwise either indent short log examples with four spaces:

example

Or for longer, use three backticks above and below the code snippet:

longer
example
here

Some or all of the below information will be requested if it isn’t supplied; for fastest response please provide as much as you can :heart:

Nextcloud version (eg, 20.0.5): 25.05
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 20.04): Ubuntu 24.04
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25): 2.4
PHP version (eg, 7.4): 8.1

The issue you are facing: Notifications aren’t aggressive or consistent enough. When I run sudo -u www-data php ./occ notification:test-push myser, Sometimes I don’t get a push notification at all, and when I do, I have to be focused on a window other than nextcloud in the browser. It seems to think that if I’m in nextcloud, I don’t need a notification, but often times I do.

When someone sends me a message in spreed, it pops in under the scroll line and if I’m on that page, there’s no push notification. So often times I don’t notice that I have a reply.

It seems that when I manually trigger the push at the command line, I get more consistent results, but often times when I’m in my normal workday, I’m missing notifications all over the place. They simply do not go off. I wonder if anyone else is having this problem.

How have you setup push notifications?

I have, yeah:

I don’t know if these details are relevant, but I’m running Chromium on Ubuntu 20.04 desktop. I have push notifications going to the desktop app and also in the browser.