.nomedia exclusion reflected on web but excluded items still appear on iOS

I’ve applied a .nomedia exclusion to a directory. These exclusions have been reflected on the web version of my Nextcloud instance. I no longer see the media of that directory.

However, when I open my media on the iOS app, I am still seeing the excluded media on my phone. How can I exclude the same media on iOS?

With all due respect: what kind of .nomedia feature do you mean and what do you expect it to do?

Do you mean the .nomedia files that should exclude a directory and its subdirectories from previews to be created or to be ignored from the recognize app?

Or have I completely misunderstood something?

Do you mean the .nomedia files that should exclude a directory and its subdirectories from previews to be created or to be ignored from the recognize app?

Yes. Apologies for incorrectly categorizing as “feature”.

However, with your sparse information, I still don’t understand what you expect and what you think is going wrong. You have to provide a little more detailed information. As far as I know, nobody here is clairvoyant.

I have applied .nomedia to a folder on my Nextcloud instance. These exclusions have been reflected when I view my media on the web. However, those excluded items still appear in my media on the mobile version of Nextcloud on iOS Apple iPhone. Is this normal behavior to still see items on mobile applications even though there is a .nomedia present in the directory?

I honestly still have trouble understanding what you mean. .nomedia is not an “application”, it is a marker that serves as an exclusion criterion for some background processes in order not to create thumbnails/preview-images of the files in the folders or to not provide them with a label by AI. Not more.

So what items still apear in the mobile version that do not apear in the web version, the previews or the tags?

Thank you for your commitment. Many people, including myself, use Nextcloud with the integrated Photo App to organize their photos. To view only relevant images in the previews, the .nomedia marker is used. In the mobile app (in my case, Android), there is a Media tab. I and probably helloshaneo assumed that this media tab works the same way as the Photo App of the web version and would like folders with a .nomedia file to be excluded from the preview in the app under the Media tab.

You can campaign here to ensure that .noimage and .nomedia exclusion files are also respected for Android apps

https://github.com/nextcloud/android/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+in%3Abody+nomedia+sort%3Aupdated-desc+

For the ios App only this closed issue about this feature exists

Hope that helps,
much luck!

1 Like