No banner for E2EE activation

Hello everyone,

I’m encountering an issue with setting up end-to-end encryption in my Nextcloud environment. Here are the specifics of my setup and the problem I’m facing:

Environment:

Nextcloud version: Nextcloud Hub 7 (28.0.0)
End-to-End Encryption App version: 1.14.00
Client: Windows Client App version 3.11.0
Deployment: Running locally on a NAS, with plans to enable Internet access later.

Goal:

I aim to enable client-side end to end encryption for certain data in Nextcloud.

Issue:

After installing the End-to-End Encryption app on the server, I expected to see a banner or prompt in the client app to activate the encryption. However, this banner is not appearing.
Some guides suggested the need to enable server-side encryption alongside the end-to-end encryption. Despite the End-to-End Encryption app indicating that these methods are not compatible, I attempted this, but it didn't resolve the issue.

Attempts:

I tried activating server-side encryption to see if it would trigger the client-side encryption setup, but this was unsuccessful.
Currently, there's still no banner or option in the client app to enable end-to-end encryption.

I would greatly appreciate any guidance or suggestions from the community. Has anyone else experienced this, and how did you resolve it? Any tips or advice would be highly welcomed.

Thank you in advance for your help!

1 Like

No. That is not how it works.

You will have to setup it in your mobile client, either Android or iOS:

Maybe this helps you:

Much luck,
ernolf

I’m having the same issue as well BTW, this isn’t just the desktop client, this is all clients, I tried enabling it on iOS for both my iPad and iPhone and I can’t, E2EE is broken completely right now for me. I’m currently running Nextcloud Hub 7 (28.0.1) and iOS client 4.9.6.1

Just to say, when you go to settings, E2EE tab should be there in the list, but it’s not, when I go to advanced and capabilities, it says I have E2EE, but nothing is showing up anywhere.

Same here - E2EE is completely broken with 28.0.1 (whereas in the shorter past) it was only instable and not reliable for productive use.

I have to say, that I love Nextcloud since I was switching over from Owncloud with you guys when forking off. I appreciate very much what you have done so far with this nice software and I’d like to thank you for all the efforts.

However I wonder, why a so promoted feature as E2EE is e.g. hereDesktop 3.8 E2EE, is handled in a way, that every update/ upgrade is jeopardizing the full feature.

Looking forward to be able to use E2EE again.

Thanks, Markus

I’ve recently updated my Nextcloud server to version 28.0.1 and also attempted to enable encryption using the iOS app (version 4.9.6.1). Despite these updates, I’m still facing challenges:

• Windows Client: No option or feature for activating encryption is visible in the Windows client app.
  • iOS Client: Similarly, the iOS app does not show any feature or option to activate encryption.

In summary, even after updating to the latest version the server and installing the iOS app, the activation options for end-to-end encryption are still not visible in either the Windows or the iOS clients.

It is not visible, it is hidden in the settings as “Start End to End Encryption” but only in the mobile app, not in the windows client.

For me it works.

Much luck,
ernolf

I’ve looked both the standard and advanced settings in the iOS app, but I was unable to locate any option or entry pertaining to end-to-end encryption in either of these menus.
Thank you for trying to help me with this issue.

There is an issue. Seams to be a NC28 problem:

ernolf

1 Like