NextCloudPi not yet initialized, trying again in a few seconds - PVE LXC Docker NFS Truenas

Hello everyone!

After a long time using a Raspberry for my NextcloudPi I’m trying to get NCP on Docker (Debian 11 LXC on Proxmox) running with having the ncdata on a TrueNAS NFS Share.

The NFS-Share is attached to Proxmox as NFS Storage and as Mountpoint to the LXC in /mnt/ncdata

Short Version:

After “Docker run” I open the IP and I get the Activate Page. When I click activate it says “NextCloudPi not yet initialized, trying again in a few seconds” forever.

When I exclude the Mountpoint and use ncdata:/data in “docker run” instead everything works fine.

I’ve seen that some people had these problems, but couldn’t find a solution.

Long version:

First I installed a Debian 11 LXC in Proxmox with the official template and made all the updates.

apt update && apt upgrade

apt install ca-certificates curl gnupg lsb-release

Than I added the docker repo and installed docker as described at Install Docker Engine on Debian | Docker Docs

When I do
docker run -d -p 4443:4443 -p 443:443 -p 80:80 -v ncdata:/data --name nextcloudpi ownyourbits/nextcloudpi $IP
everything works fine. When I open the IP I get the Activate Page, click activate and I can use the Nextcloud.

But I wanted to have my data on my TrueNAS instead, so I made a NFS Share on it. In Proxmox I added it via Storage → Add → NFS.

In the LXC I created /mnt/ncdata and made
chown www-data:www-data -R /mnt/ncdata
as described at Guide to Getting Started with NextcloudPi Docker in 2020

After that pct set 106 -mp0 /mnt/pve/ncdata/ncdata,mp=/mnt/ncdata on the PVE host.

When I do “docker run -d -p […] -v /mnt/ncdata:/data […]” and open the IP I get the Activate Page. When I click activate it says

NextCloudPi not yet initialized, trying again in a few seconds

forever.

I also tried root:root with 777 for /mnt/ncdata. Same problem.

In the guide to getting started with nextcloudpi docker I’ve seen several people had this error, but I could find a solution.

Any advice on what could be wrong? Or any advice, how I should use NCP with data on TrueNAS?

Or could you tell me how the permissions should be set?

Thanks in advance!

Hi @ttgerhh

I know that’s not what you want to hear. But it would be better if you would install ncp in a VM if you absolutely want to install it with Docker on Proxmox. The easier way though would be to just use their installation script without Docker directly in the LXC container. Yes I know it’s theoretically possible to use Docker inside an LXC container, but why make your life unnecessarily difficult when you can install ncp with a single script? You would have to use a Debian 10 container though. NCP doesn’t support Debian 11 yet.