It’s a real pleasure to see the progress NextCloud made since I came across it two years ago. Big thanks to all the developers and contributors.
Somehow, I don’t get it working properly, as well as going through many help pages and youtube videos seem not to help me any further so far. I guess I am overlooking something or simply missing the understanding of how things work.
I can’t get backup and restore working. Even after a clean install, restoring a backed-up instance ends with “something went wrong” message or simply “done”. But it doesn’t do the trick. I am using Ubuntu 18.04 LTS (although I had the exact same behavior on Raspian as well).
What I do
- Loading NextCloudPi-x86 with Docker on Ubuntu Desktop (or Raspbian)
- Waiting for the “Init Done”
- Do the login ncp-web, letsencrypt, nc-update, nc-update-nextcloud (until version 22.214.171.124)
- Switch to the login on the cloud and wait for the first time login to finish
- next I change the theme color to be sure I can see it is my configured Nextcloud version
- return to ncp-web and perform a nc-backup including data to /data/backups and receive a .tar file
After that, I stop this docker container and load a fresh one (eg nextcloudpi2 instead of …1). Hence, once again I have a clean NextCloudPi instance running after “Init done”. Before loading the backup, I perform the updates (nc-update, nc-update,nextcloud) to ensure the same version as the backup (126.96.36.199).
- now: restoring with nc-restore ends with either (ncp-web) “something went wrong” message or simply (ncp-config) “done”.
- I guess the return message “something went wrong” from ncp-web is not normal behavior.
- letsencrypt is not restored. Is this the normal behavior?
- Is the backup file in the /data/backups folder an issue for a restore into the same /data directory?
- Trying to do the backup on an external device seems not possible: USB stick is showing up in Ubuntu, however, the path /media/USBdrive is not working with the external storages app (red sign). Tried everything, even to refer to a /home folder. Nothing. It simply doesn’t work. Is this due to docker?
- I cannot replicate restoring as described by ownyourbits.com or in youtube videos. Both, on my Ubuntu and Raspbian docker container of NextCloudPi-x86
- Can’t get external storages app to accept any drive that I plugin nor a folder on my home directory
Both should be simple when I look at videos and well written manual pages. However, I simply can’t replicate it. Is this due to the docker container or any other “simple” thing I am missing out?
I would really appreciate any hints from your side on how I could get around these issues.