Nextcloud webdav slow

In short: mounting nextcloud folder on my local machine via webdav, the connection is unworkably slow.

I have installed nextcloud on a raspberry pi, with a big usb disk attached. I want to use nextcloud for sharing files with others, but also as a backup destination. In particular, I want to get data to and from the nextcloud, but I do not want to sync (ie not use up space on my local machine).

So I mounted my nextcloud folder like so: Accessing Nextcloud files using WebDAV — Nextcloud latest User Manual latest documentation

There was a locks error, which I could fix like so: davfs2 - ArchWiki

Now, everything works in principle. In practice, copying files to and from the webdav-mounted folder is insanely slow, like 2MB per minute.

What am I getting wrong?

OK, it seems many ppl are experiencing problems connecting to nextcloud with webdav; and there never seems to be a satisfactory answer. Could the answer be that the statement “Nextcloud fully supports the WebDAV protocol, and you can connect and synchronize with your Nextcloud files over WebDAV” should be amended with: ‘but creating a mount in linux will be incredibly slow, and generally suck’?
It’s a genuine question.

Nope it shouldn’t. I get about 70MB/sec over a wired connection inside my LAN and about 30MB/sec from my Laptop over Wi-Fi.

You are right in the sense that WebDAV generally won’t perform quite as well as for example an NFS or SMB connection would, but as you can see from my example there are decent transfer speeds possible over WebDAV. However without knowing your exact hardware setup (Raspi 2, 3, or 4, HDD or SSD) and the exact software configuration of your server, it is impossible to say why you don’t get more than 2MB/sec…

This is a good starting point regarding the software side of things… Server tuning — Nextcloud latest Administration Manual latest documentation

1 Like

Cheers for the reply!
In my case, all the files are first stored locally in a davfs2 cache folder; from there they are transferred to the remote server but in super-slow motion.
The reply shows that the issue must be with my setup. For now, I decided to sidestep the webdav mount by simply using sshfs separate from the nextcloud for backing up; and the nextcloud for everything else. (Via apps and browser, the nextcloud seems to be working perfectly well).
If I get some time, I’ll try to dig into the webdav mount, and where the problem lies.