Nextcloud Web UI EXTREMELY Slow

No further idea then, sry. In can only report that my Nextcloud is as fast and responsive as ever so it still must be something with your setup.

Okay, how exactly does your setup look like? I would compare mine and yours and see the differences.

What information do you need? config.php, storage location, etc.?

I am honestly not sure how far we will get by comparing our instance because I suspect they are highly different… So I guess it still makes more sense to try to find the root cause of this.

I wonder if your instance was better optimized than the helm chart based on this statement or what the differences are? Maybe that is another starting point?

Hello,

I have been running NextCloud since last few months. I am sharing my own views and experience with this setup about this slowness.

My setup details,

Hardware :- Acer Laptop (Intel Pentium Quad Core N3530 @ 2.14 Ghz, 2x2 4GB DDR3L, 500GB HDD, Gigabit RJ45)
Software :- Ubuntu 20 LTS (Up-to-date), Snap NextCloud, NoIP DDNS Client)

With NC 22, Web Page loading was in heavier side but never felt too slow for usability. However, as I write here in this thread → High CPU Usage NextCloud 22.2.0 (snap) on Ubuntu 20 LTS setup in general felt inadequate with my choice of CPU.

Just a day ago, snap team dropped the 23 update and webpage load feels much faster and snappier than previous 22 era with the same hardware and operational scenario.

Thanks.

I also have this kind of question, so I try to find out by myself with my dedicated server
I do a test installed owncloud and Next cloud in same server same server requirement, owncloud web-interface is super-fast while Nextcloud takes century to respond

There will be many improvements in regards to speed of the webinterface in NC24. So stay tuned! :slight_smile:

1 Like

For me was upgrading from 23.0.10.1 to 24.0.6.1
this mean because of upgrading the system or disabled apps (not compatible)
the situation
was none admin users when access the system was very slow
when check console reach more than million request (maybe as verbose)

5 posts were split to a new topic: Need helping improving performance of my Nextcloud

Something similar happened to me.
Nextcloud was super slow when migrated my nc server to another machine.(using docker compose)

The way I fixed it, was to start the server with a fresh volume mount, and then just copied the data and config.php to the new structure.

I honestly don’t know what was causing this, but that seem to have fixed it for me.

1 Like

The cause of all my issues with Nextcloud loading speeds has always been caused by DB IO issues with my spinning rust disk.

Where is your DB? Is it’s storage the sshfs mount? if so that’s probably your bottle neck. A rough method of determining this is to use HTOP, sort by the S column. If you see your DB process with a red D it’s most likely becoming locked due to IO.

If so you probably need to adjust your DB settings to make it use more RAM, this is what I have done and now it’s just as responsive as any other application on my home server.

Hey! did you find any solution for this problem?
I’m running nextcloud-aio:v5.0 (next-cloud: v26) and it’s extremely slow too

My solutions is optimize the nginx +php-fpm, +fastCGI Cache, and uninstall the Apache, the Apache it’s too slow in my low cost SBC machine, after the optimization it’s times faster

For me, including 'memcache.local' => '\OC\Memcache\APCu' in my config.php helped. Refer to Memory caching — Nextcloud latest Administration Manual latest documentation

1 Like

In my case it is kitbroker processes, there are 4-5 of them even if I open main directory of files, there no reference to the process in collabora, nor in NC documentation

for some directories I see 10+ kitbroker processes, no information about this job ?

found the solution finally: ‘enable_previews’ => false, of this is true and you have thousands of libreoffice docs in the dirs, the nextcloud will use CODE to generate every time small thumbnail for the file icons and virtually hangs. And this will start tens of gitbroker processes when you just open firectory

1 Like

I had reported this same type of problem myself.

In my case, I may even have to wait more than a minute after login to have the full display of the dashboard.

But I certainly made the mistake of posting in French. And I certainly didn’t get the most expert advice.

The problem is that people answer anything without reading, and they wanted to focus on the speed of my connection. It’s just stupid.
Especially with the nextcloud-desktopclient application, I have NO slowness problems. It is therefore not the server itself which is responsible nor my desktop.

The feeling I have is that nextcloud calls on one or more external resources which could, for example, not be accessible from my home (firewall or other) and which must timeout so that the process of constituting the page continues to load.
But bringing it up left the people who responded completely deaf.

8 months later, the problem is still the same for me. Nextcloud is therefore completely unusable.
But some people deny the existence of the problem which clearly affects a lot of people rather than taking it into account.

Indeed. This is definitely a huge problem with such software. I see this way too often.

People always assume it’s “your fault” in such cases. Well, no, it’s not my fault. ALL other server software works fine. ONLY Nextcloud is super slow. So, don’t tell me, it’s my connection or whatever.

Since I realised the extremely badly architectured way of how data is managed in Nextcloud, I didn’t see a possibility to really fix the issue. Then, I decided to drop this altogether. No point in continuing with this, especially when this software is clearly damn slow & this issue is not taken seriously.

For example, the configuration for the UI is saved in the storage directory for media data. Like, why would you even think about doing that. Media storage can be slow, don’t put your configuration files & scripts there.

I think, the only way to really “solve” this issue overall is to have another hard fork of Nextcloud. The way, this is architectured just isn’t fixable without changing it significantly, I think.

That said, I want to put on record, that as of now, this thread has about 16000 (SIXTEEN THOUSAND) views.

Yeah, it’s definitely my server being bad, when this thread was viewed SIXTEEN THOUSAND times. Yeah right…

3 Likes