Nextcloud web interface is slow

i’m not a very advanced user, but is there a setting in my ubuntu server, maybe in the php or apache configs that makes the server ‘go to sleep’?
again, it’s not in suspend mode, but after the first time i load the cloud, the next times it’s faster. that’s until the next period of inactivity.
you know what i mean?

Maybe you have a slow database. Second time it gets the data for the database cache.

i was thinking about that. is there a way to put the database in RAM? it’s only 80 MB, and i don’t think it will ever get super big, because i’m the only user. i’m using MySQL 5.7.30 btw.

i also experimented a bit with the php and opcache memory limit. i increased them to 1GB. and i had some ok results yesterday. it did seem to be a bit faster, but today it’s lagging again.

what about changing the apache timeout / keepalive timeout settings? would that help me? i have apache 2.4.29 installed.
right now the Timeout is 300 sec, the MaxKeepAliveRequests 100, KeepAliveTimeout 5 sec.

What about using SSD instead of HDD? Makes big difference most of the time. Even with good specs I found that there are big differences between vps providers.

well, that is true, but unfortunately i don’t have the money to go for ssd right now. plus it would mean reinstalling everything. the file transfer is very fast, anyway, so it’s not necessarily a hdd thing.
more and more i think it’s about tuning the memory settings.

My configuration is slightly different (debian, mariadb, nginx) but otherwise I have similar problem as you (Nextcloud web-interface too slow). I tried everything: more and faster cpu, more ram, fast ssd, added all possible caching, tweaked php/nginx config for more servers/workers, deactivated many modules, but nothing helped.

I can not even find what actually is reason for NC web-interface being so slow. My vps is basically sitting idle, and yet NC is slow. Very slow. Any other website I tested on the same vps was blazingly fast, but not NC. I’m starting to think this is not bug, but “feature” of NC web-interface…

I think the performance is improved with newer version and no error in configuration panel. All new and correct?

Does top/htop show significant CPU activity during the wait? If not the server may be waiting for something.

I observed lags of this magnitude when there is a DNS problem on the server side. This problem may not be logged so it can be hard to spot. DNS timeout is usually 5 seconds. Try changing the DNS to 8.8.8.8 (google) or some other public server. You can also change the timeout in resolv.conf.

htop shows very little cpu / memory activity. around 1-2 % with short spikes from time to time. and around 1GB of ram.

but i think you gave me an interesting idea. i have been using Cloudflare Free DNS because it’s more private, but i remember i used to have some issues on the phone with it - sometimes everything would go much slower. let me go back to my ISP DNS server and see if there’s a change.

Do you host your service with Cloudflare Services (CDN)? I think that make no sense. Also you can perhaps allow additional ip-addresses to nextcloud to see the difference between dns and no dns.

Than you use actually Ubuntu 18.0.4 LTS with older php-version. Perhaps you can switch to a new php-version or to the new Ubuntu version 20.04 LTS

Perhaps also you can temporary deactivate redis.

it wasn’t cloudlfare CDN, it was their free service which they call 1.1.1.1: https://1.1.1.1
they don’t spy on your activity as a normal ISP would. i’m big on privacy - that’s why i’m using nextcloud in the first place :slight_smile:

i had 1.1.1.1 enabled on all my devices (laptop, workstation, phone) - not the server though. but basically anytime i was accessing the cloud it was through 1.1.1.1. i’ve disabled it on all my devices and i’ll have to see if there’s a difference. so far it seems a bit faster, but let’s see.

i’ll try all your other tips and see what happens.

hmm… Serverhardware / CPU , Ram, Swap…
if it’s not the Software could it be the hardware… what know we about the hardware ?
so, what for a Computer it is ? the Webserver… an 1,8 Dualcore with 2 Gig supports not many :wink:
@reborn579 what’s your Hardware ?

if you give for php 1024MB have PHP enough to breath
and Memcache is also a bit afterburner… it load it up for faster running…

best
Blacky

these are my specs below. i would say the hardware is fast enough. php has 1024MB of memory now.

what if i try to create a ram disk and put my sql there? would that work? :slight_smile:

The server runs on a HP Z200 workstation with an intel Xeon X3470 3GHz 4 core processor, 8GBs DDR3 RAM and 3 x 250 GB Seagate HDD ST3250312CS.
I am the only user on my Nextcloud and I usually don’t perform any heavy tasks. On average, the CPU shows 1% usage and RAM about 1.5 GB. I also have 250 GB of free hard disk space available.

nope, no Ramdisk… bad play around…

hardware is well so far …

well maybe memcache,
https://docs.nextcloud.com/server/15/admin_manual/configuration_server/caching_configuration.html
include the config.php entry

install memcache in your distro and the php-memcache, i have APCu installed,
since this is installed, fly it… (nc 17.0)
try it…

there would be Ramdisk only disturb…

and if you want a bit dark theme,
https://blackysgate.de/files/folder-root/nextcloud/

well maybe memcache

i’ve already made all the settings in that link. memcache installed, and setup.

so after more tinkering i think i’ve got it. :smiley:

1. i updated my nextcloud to 19.0. i was told on the overview page that i’m using an old version of PHP. indeed 17.2 was 4 years old. so i updated php to 7.4. i also updated mysql to 8.0 and apache to 2.4 and i already could see a vast improvement.

2. i tuned php. i set script memory limit to -1 (i disabled it) and i setup opcache memory consumption to 4GB. i found out that i had to edit the php.ini file in the apache2 folder of php, not the cli.

3. i tuned apache2 according to these guides:
    https://www.liquidweb.com/kb/apache-performance-tuning-mpm-directives
    https://www.tutsandtips.com/server/apache-localhost-loading-very-slow-here-is-the-solution

4. i tuned mysql according to this guide here:
    https://www.tecmint.com/mysql-mariadb-performance-tuning-and-optimization

5. i disabled IPv6 on the server

6. i switched to the performance governor in cpufreq
    https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/7/html/power_management_guide/cpufreq_governors

7. i also noticed that nextcloud is just much faster on chrome / chromium / vivaldi. i always use firefox to browser, but it seems that in this case there is a big difference in speed.

now the server is very fast. i’ll be checking it out for a few more days, but i think it should work.
funny that i solved my own problem, but at least other people who will have the same issue can just use this thread to figure it out.

AFTER A FEW DAYS
there is still a slight lag when i come back to nextcloud after a few hours for the first time, but it’s definitely much much better. and the next page loads are very fast. so i think all the settings above did help out.

just note that i am the only user on my server, and the server is dedicated to nextcloud. so depending on your situation, my solution might not work.

cheers guys! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

:+1: well Done :slight_smile:
i wish you many fun and a long lived Webserver :nerd_face: :blush:

1 Like

Thanks alot for your hints! Helped me a lot!

What I’ve found on other pages was this guide

This helped me also out very much.

For me was upgrading from 23.0.10.1 to 24.0.6.1
this mean because of upgrading the system or disabled apps (not compatible)
the situation
was none admin users when access the system was very slowwwwww
when check console reach more than million request (maybe as verbose)