Nextcloud vs ownCloud – The Whole Story

We have published a complete and up to date review Nextcloud vs ownCloud – The Whole Story comparing all the differences between ownCloud and Nextcloud.

Have a look and please share any feedback here or over there. There are a lot of details so we may have missed something.

Thank you.

1 Like

Nice overview of features. Did you also run a performance comparison?

No, we didn’t, but that is a good idea. I will see if we can add that.

Thank you.

Essentially the TU Berlin did that - you can download it and the results at https://nextcloud.com/education. See also our blog: https://nextcloud.com/blog/tu-berlin-halves-database-load-by-migrating-22k-users-to-nextcloud/

The title gives a hint as to the results :wink:

1 Like
  1. Tonido is not Open Source. Noting related to that can be found on their website, just a bunch of messages from almost 10 years ago.

2. How can it be the “whole story” if you miss “a lot of details”? :grin:

Here’s a recent comparison in French…

1 Like

Tonido is not Open Source. Noting related to that can be found on their website, just a bunch of messages from almost 10 years ago.

They say here that it is open source: https://www.tonido.com/blog/index.php/tag/open-source-license/ and I am not aware of any other announcements to the contrary. If you have one, please share it.

How can it be the “whole story” if you miss “a lot of details”?

If you will review our original post. we actually wrote that there are a lot of details and therefore we may have missed “something.” We certainly didn’t write that we left out a lot of details, in fact the vast majority are indeed there.

Thank you.

to be more precisely about the link you shared: they only announced that it’s going to be open source (“most likely gpl v3”) and that you could sign up at dev-forum to get informed about when it’s going to be out.

MEANING: it did not neccessarily happen until now.

too bad that neither this blogpost has no release-day mentioned nor is there anything else to download than “FileCloud Developer API documentation” and “FileCloud HTTP API documentation”. this isn’t exactly what i understand from being “open source”

Exactly, just an announcement from almost 10 years ago. Not that I care about this product/project at all, if you can show us a repository with the source code under an Open Source license then it would be awesome. :wink:

Well, if details are missing, it can’t be the “whole story”. Just semantics, otherwise your article still contains some interesting information.

1 Like

Not that I care about this product/project at all…

Neither do we, if truth be told.

MEANING: it did not neccessarily happen until now.

Point well taken and we removed mention of this project from the blog post. Thank you for the feedback.

your article still contains some interesting information.

Glad to hear you liked it. :slight_smile:

If there are any other details anyone can add, we would be happy to add them.

Thank you.

If there are any other details anyone can add, we would be happy to add them.

Nextant is being replaced by the Fulltextsearch app.

1 Like

Note down that Seafile and Nextcloud are very different from each other, not just in terms of functionality but also in file handling. Seafile makes 4mb chunks of files and stores chunks on the server: you can’t get at the files directly but it gives a performance improvement.