Nextcloud VM needs more space on Disk

Hi there,

i bought the Nextcloud VM from Hansson IT in the 2TB Version.

Now, i have 2,7 GB of Data in it…actually only one User…The VHDX File of Data is grown up to about 15 GB…how can that be? Is much more then the Data inside…

In Trash is nothing, but for testings i wrote some files before and deleted them, are they still anywhere???
Thanks axle

When a VHDX disk is created, it is given a maximum size that it can grow up to. This maximum size is known as the “physical size” of the VHDX disk. The VHDX file will start at a smaller size, known as the “logical size”, and will grow as more data is added to the disk.

When data is deleted from the VHDX disk, the space that was occupied by that data is marked as “free” but is not immediately returned to the operating system or the VHDX file. This is because the VHDX file is designed to optimize performance by avoiding frequent resizing of the file. When the file grows, it can result in fragmentation of the physical disk where the VHDX file is stored, which can negatively impact performance.

Instead, the VHDX file will keep the space marked as “free” and reuse it for future writes, until the amount of “free” space is exhausted and the VHDX file needs to grow again. The VHDX file will only shrink if you explicitly compact the VHDX file or if you use a storage optimization tool that does this for you.

So, in short, the VHDX file does not shrink automatically when you delete data from it because it is designed to optimize performance and avoid fragmentation of the physical disk where the VHDX file is stored.

There are several storage optimization tools that can help you compact or shrink a VHDX file. Here are a few examples:

1. Hyper-V Manager: If you are using Hyper-V, you can use the Hyper-V Manager to compact a VHDX file. To do this, you need to shut down the virtual machine that uses the VHDX file and then right-click on the VHDX file in the Hyper-V Manager. Select “Edit Disk” from the context menu, choose the VHDX file, and then click “Next”. On the “Choose Action” page, select “Compact” and follow the prompts.
  2. PowerShell: You can use PowerShell to compact a VHDX file. Here is an example command:Optimize-VHD -Path C:\VirtualHardDisks\Disk1.vhdx -Mode FullThis command will perform a full optimization on the VHDX file located at “C:\VirtualHardDisks\Disk1.vhdx”. You can also use the -Mode Quick option to perform a quick optimization.
  3. Disk Cleanup: Windows includes a built-in Disk Cleanup tool that can help you free up space on your hard drive, including any unused space in VHDX files. To run Disk Cleanup, search for “Disk Cleanup” in the Start menu, select the drive that contains the VHDX file, and then click “OK”. On the Disk Cleanup dialog box, click “Clean up system files”, select the drive again, and then check the box next to “Virtual hard disk files”. Click “OK” and then click “Delete Files” to remove any unused space from the VHDX file.

These are just a few examples of storage optimization tools that can help you compact or shrink a VHDX file. There are many other tools available, so you may want to research and compare different options to find the one that best suits your needs.

[Answer generated with ChatGPT]

thats all clear and known by me…

I just tryed to reduce the disksize in hyper-v but it got no result…so now i think, when the vhdx with such a little filestorage is that big, what is when in the vhdx are 2 TB…how big will it be then…5tb?