Nextcloud upgrade to 27 fails with Error: MySQL version

Support intro

Sorry to hear you’re facing problems :slightly_frowning_face:

help.nextcloud.com is for home/non-enterprise users. If you’re running a business, paid support can be accessed via portal.nextcloud.com where we can ensure your business keeps running smoothly.

In order to help you as quickly as possible, before clicking Create Topic please provide as much of the below as you can. Feel free to use a pastebin service for logs, otherwise either indent short log examples with four spaces:

example

Or for longer, use three backticks above and below the code snippet:

longer
example
here

Some or all of the below information will be requested if it isn’t supplied; for fastest response please provide as much as you can :heart:

Nextcloud version (eg, 20.0.5): 25.0.3
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 20.04): Linux Hosted Virtual server
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25): replace me
PHP version (eg, 7.4): 8.1.16

The issue you are facing:
Please be patient, I am not a server expert and do not have access to a terminal on my server.
I have Nextcloud 25.0.3 running on a shared server.
It was installed via Softaculous and cPanel.

Softaculous is offering me an upgrade to Nextcloud 27.1.1.
When I start the process I get an error

Required MYSQL version greater than equal to 8.0.0 AND found version is : 5.7.43

I cannot see how to upgrade MYSQL via cPanel.
But I see from another thread (about SNAP) that the upgrade to MYSQL 8 is handled by the Nextcloud upgrade process.
Details here
https://github.com/nextcloud-snap/nextcloud-snap/issues/1626

Should the upgrade process via cPanel also handle the MySQL ugrade (like SNAP)?

Any suggestions for how I can upgrade Nextcloud from 25 to 27 please?
Thank you for your assistance

Contact your hosting provider support and ask them to guide you via chat or support ticket. Only they can answer this question, because it is possible they are withholding support for 8.0.0 and only they can clarify what is happening. Good luck!

Otherwise, you’ll need to use Cpanel support at Support but only your provider can say what they are doing and why.

You must ask your hosting provider directly. :heart:

1 Like

Thanks for your prompt response.
I’ve spoken to my hosting provider and they confirmed my suspicion that the MySQL version is an integral part of the cPanel version (110.0).

I’ve verified that here
https://docs.cpanel.net/release-notes/110-release-notes/

So the MySQL version will not get upgraded until they roll-out a new cPanel version.

1 Like

Bummer. Your choice, but you might consider moving to a more flexible platform (at higher cost than the shared hosting). Cheers!