Nextcloud Setup Issue

Hey all! Iā€™m on ubuntu 18.04 LTS

Iā€™m fairly new to linux itself, but I have quite a bit of experience with cpanel/whm. I currently use it to host websites/email etc.

However, Iā€™ve been looking at maybe using ubuntu server w/o cpanel. I want to get pretty comfortable with it before using it for production purposes. I ran across nextcloud, thought it was interesting so I figured Iā€™d check it out as I get used to doing things in ubuntu.

However, Iā€™m having a problem with thisā€¦seemingly simple install.I found this tut here: https://websiteforstudents.com/setup-nextcloud-on-ubuntu-18-04-lts-beta-with-apache2-mariadb-and-php-7-1-support/

Iā€™ve followed it to a T without any errors whatsoever, however, after the install of nextcloud, i go to localhost/nextcloud, and while it takes me to nextcloud, iā€™m met with a plethora of errors:

No Database drivers (i installed mariadb, configured, db created, u/n and p/w created)

PHP module zip not installed

PHP module dom not installed

Php module XMLWriter not installed

PHP module XMLReader not installed

ā€¦and thereā€™s more after that, but I assume iā€™m getting all of these for the same reason

I know for a fact I installed and configured mariadb and all the php modules. Iā€™m sure itā€™s for some obvious reason, but as I stated iā€™m fairly new to linux. I donā€™t usually ask questions on community forums for the sake of looking dumb, but for once in my life I would like to seek help instead of banging my head against a wall until I figure it out. I provided the link to the tutorial I followed so you can know exactly what I did.

Thanks in advance for any help.

The howto you used installs php 7.1 modules. Maybe you can check if apache is using php 7.2 instead of php 7.1.

On Ubuntu 18.04.1, youā€™ll need to install following packages:
apt-get install php7.2-fpm php7.2-gd php7.2-mysql php7.2-curl php7.2-xml php7.2-zip php7.2-intl php7.2-mbstring php7.2-bz2 php7.2-json php-apcu

With these packages, I donā€™t have any PHP related issues with Nextcloud.

1 Like

Didnā€™t fix it. I do however think that the version of nextcloud in the tutorial I followed is not compatible with php 7.2. I upgraded nextcould to 13, and while It fixed the first errors, I started recieving an ā€œInternal Server Errorā€. I read that this was an issue with 13, so attempted to upgrade again, but i couldnā€™t perform the occ upgrade due to write permission in the config directory? Anyway, instead of nitpicking it apart(which i probably should for the sake of learning) Iā€™m rolling back to my untouched ubuntu snapshot and going to repeat the process with correct/compatible versions of php and nextcloud. Good experience for me probably. Iā€™ll report back once I make some progress. Thanks for the replies.

PHP7.2 works since NC12, AFAIK. However of course you should always install the latest release: https://download.nextcloud.com/server/releases/latest.zip

But indeed your error messages looks like mixed PHP versions. Please check the following:

php -v
php -m
ls -l /etc/apache2/mods-enabled/