Nextcloud server has been completely wiped

No other explanation. Nextcloud/Cloudamo have completely wiped my server with no explanation.

What is the approach to restoring my files? These are irreplaceable family videos and photos I need to recover. Pretty terrified this has actually happened.

Nothing is showing in the deleted section in the web interface either. Trying to do a system restore to salvage some of it.

Nextcloud version (eg, 20.0.5): 3.4.0
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 20.04): Linux Mint
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25): ?
PHP version (eg, 7.4): ?

The issue you are facing:

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? (Y/N): Y

Steps to replicate it:

1. Log into web interface or view local Nextcloud directory
  2. Completely empty

The output of your Nextcloud log in Admin > Logging:

The output of your config.php file in /path/to/nextcloud (make sure you remove any identifiable information!):

The output of your Apache/nginx/system log in /var/log/____:

Please show us some logs. Hard to even begin to help without them.

You need to contact Cloudamo first. Don’t do anything until you connect with them.

1 Like

Sorry if this sounds rude, but why are you asking us instead of Cloudamo? Or is this your personal server that you’ve federated with Cloudamo or something?

You’ve given us little to go on, and we can only really help you with your own Nextcloud instance. If this is a paid service provided by Cloudamo, you should be asking them to fix their error. After all, that’s what you’re paying them for! We can only really help you with a Nextcloud instance you have control over.

Last thought, do you have the Versions app installed? It allows you to recover previous versions of files, even if they’ve been overwritten or deleted. Check your versions (if you can!)

I already contacted Cloudamo. Wouldn’t be writing here if I didn’t. Their support is literally non-existent. Email tickets only and they’ve gone rogue. No response, no explanation. Should’ve pulled debug logs before sending the SSD to recovery professionals but the fact that this even happened has me wondering what the legalities are for what they did. This wasn’t a virus or any malware. This was Cloudamo team maliciously wiping all personal files off my server. For what its worth I have never been late on server payments.

spotted this over on reddit related https://www.reddit.com/r/NextCloud/comments/rz8jtg/warning_cloudamo_is_little_more_than_a_scam_at/

2 Likes

Wow, thank you @syker69 …I guess the fallback would be filing charge disputes on all past bills with my CC but even then it doesn’t replace decades of family photos i was dumb enough to entrust them with. Hard hard lesson. Will look through the fine print of Cloudamo terms then see if there’s any legal counsel that might make sense at this point. What a disaster.

Contact Cloudamo to see if they have backups and try to resolve it with them. Perhaps they have a solution for you. @Cloudamo

I am really sorry for what happened. Next time, remember to design your backup stragety before hand. Unfortunately, backups show how indispensable they are, only after the destruction.

@baconneggs15 I am having the exact same problem. I have not been able to access any of my files since the beginning of December. I have logged tickets with CloudAmo and they simple delete them or marked them as answered. Please let me know if you have any success.

Yep, exact timeline my issues started as well. Cloudamo completely abandoned their posts so they knew this was happening. Any tickets I submitted and responded to were all closed without reply. Who knows if our files are even just being deleted, they could’ve been hacked/leaked all over the dark web.

Having forensics run on my SSD now by a company to try and piece back together at least some of what was lost but not looking too promising so far. ~30% recovered after 2 days. Even then will need to donate an organ to cover that bill.

Wondering if there’s anyone in their offices…
Innere M. 5/5. Etage,
4051 Basel, Switzerland.