Nextcloud partners with Purism to provide a secure, open source and privacy focused mobile device

Originally published at: Nextcloud partners with Purism to provide a secure, open source and privacy focused mobile device - Nextcloud

Today, we are proud to announce that Purism, the maker of security-focused computing devices, is partnering with Nextcloud for a series of products and services. Nextcloud is looking to expand and become a default on Purism’s mobile and desktop computing products.

With Purism recently meeting their crowdfunding goal of $1.5 million to build and deliver the Librem 5, a fully open source and secure smartphone, and Nextcloud freshly announcing the arrival of end-to-end encryption, privacy is in good hands! This partnership adds to Purism’s roster of open-source partners will aim to make the Librem 5 the most comprehensive free open-source smartphone to ever hit the market.

"Having Nextcloud applications built into the Librem 5, as well as default within PureOS, will help people have a convenient, ethical encrypted file storage service alongside other easy-to-use defaults"
Todd Weaver, Founder and CEO of Purism.

On Nextcloud side, partnering with Purism gets our software directly into the hands of customers, making their lives easier with security and privacy protection built-in. Purism plans to include Nextcloud in the Librem 5 phone, as well as within PureOS for its Librem 13 and Librem 15 laptops. Additionally, Purism will be discussing with Nextcloud about a future Purism NAS that runs completely free software including Nextcloud and services.

"Nextcloud follows our strict beliefs in digital rights for people, and this partnership is a clear win for users by merging convenience and ethics together into simple products" adds Weaver.
About Purism

Purism is a Social Purpose Corporation devoted to bringing security, privacy, software freedom, and digital independence to everyone’s personal computing experience. With operations based in San Francisco (California) and around the world, Purism manufactures premium-quality laptops, tablets, and phones, creating beautiful and powerful devices meant to protect users’ digital lives without requiring a compromise on ease of use. Purism designs and assembles its hardware in the United States, carefully selecting internationally sourced components to be privacy-respecting and fully Free-Software-compliant. Security and privacy-centric features come built-in with every product Purism makes, making security and privacy the simpler, logical choice for individuals and businesses.

4 Likes

Hi

Where do i get help in installing nextcloud on my linux mint?

I tried last night but it is seems to be impossible???

help

p.s

I have backed librem 5 and will buy a purism machine so when i have the
funds but meanwhile i’d like to start working with nextcloud.

this is awesome news

3 Likes

Super awesome.
You guys do exactly what should be done.
I really want to do it with you

1 Like

Great news!

@2Tunion You should specify the problems you’re having (but probably better in a separate thread), otherwise it will be hard to help without knowing any details.

Good news. I always liked the idea of a Chromebook competitor where data can be stored locally on my own server and Nextcloud makes a good backend for something like that.

Hope this works out well.

2 Likes

Hi, I use Nextcloud 12 on my Linux Mint 18.2
This is my instruction, how i installed it, but it`s on russian, I can try translate it, if you wish

You guys are doing really great. Purism and NextCloud collab is so good! Great news.

David Reddy

[edit: removed link that was not related to this topic at all]