Nextcloud or Nextcloud All in One

Hello,

I’d like some advice on whether to install Nextcloud or Nextcloud All in One please.
I have recently started faffing around with a Raspberry Pi (never touched Linux before), learning as I go, making mistakes of course, and figuring things out.

I have a Raspberry Pi 4b (8GB) on which I have installed Docker and Portainer. I have used Portainer to add all containers in Docker.
The Pi has an SSD on one USB3 port, and HDD attached to the other via a powered USB3 hub. The SSD has the Pi OS, Docker and various containers.

I have recently installed Nextcloud, but in the process I discovered there is also All in One.
The HDD has data for Nextcloud users (no more than 4 users eventually).

So, may I ask what are the pro’s and con’s of Nextcloud and Nextcloud All in One please?
I’ve looked for a comparison, but haven’t found a clear enough explanation.
If there is one, please do signpost it.

The use case would be to not use any office type apps, but to mostly host photos.
Users will only ever access it on the home network.
Once set up, configured and running, I’d prefer it to have minimal intervention from myself.

Thank you.

1 Like

Docker all in one, it should make it easy for people to deploy this rapidly and have a good working default configuration (and some selection of apps, …). You are in this docker-universe, then you probably have strategies, to use this to automatically create backups, deploy updates, …

I’m not sure about flexibilty, the snap packages had the problem that you could not modify them, I am not sure but that is probably different for the docker images.

From a performance point of view, you probably can get a better performance without these additional layers. However, you need to set it up on your own and do the configuration.

For the raspberry pi, there is also the NextcloudPi project, based on raspbian. It adds a few tools to the OS to handle some of the configuration stuff and helps to set up ssl certificates, doing backups, …

Give yourself time to learn about this. There is nothing wrong about testing Linux and different solutions with it, but expect things to go wrong in the beginning. Even if nowadays, things are set up prety easy, which is great, if you wanted to use it more seriously, I’d try to get some knowledge. E.g. on the raspberry pi, you often boot from the SD card, and you put the data on the external drive. Imagine, the SD card fails at some point, are you able to restore your setup with existing data on your drive?