Nextcloud only supporting 3 mbps upload/download

Nextcloud version: 27.0.2
Operating system and version: Linux 5.15.107+truenas x86_64
Apache or nginx version: Nginx 2.10.4
PHP version: 8.2.10

The issue you are facing:
I am a video editor and have a truenas scale server running nextcloud, and I’d like to use nextcloud as my main way to transfer large video files to and from clients. The nextcloud instance is installed on 4 sata ssds in a mirror, and the speed of that over the local network is 150 mbps with the nextcloud webclient. The speed of of my smb shares on those same drives is 900 mbps+. I am running a reverse proxy with nginx and cloudflare dns, and when accessed via the internet, I see speeds of 3 mbps showing up on my network card. My internet connection speeds are 500 mbps download and 20 mbps upload.

To be honest, I’m not sure if this is an error, and if it is, if its with the nextcloud install, but is there anything I can do to increase the nextcloud performance to something more reasonable?

thanks guys

• Are you certain you’re comparing megabyte/s not megabit/s in some cases?
  • Are you certain you’re only using DNS from Cloudflare and not proxy services? Because if so even local connections to your Nextcloud instance will have to go out through your Internet link to Cloudflare then back in. You’ll be limited your Nextcloud performance to your Internet link speed even when local. Your SMB comparison bypasses all that.
  • If your upload direction speed on your Internet link is 20 Mbits/s you won’t be able to get above ~2.5 MBytes/s.
2 Likes

This is the bottleneck. You’ll need to change your isp or otherwise upgrade your upload plan. Best in the search.

in addition to this, if youre not completely concerned about your public facing transfer throughput limitation you can add a dns entry on your local network to point directly at your reverse proxy for dns requests to your nextcloud hostname. this will allow you to get full local network bandwidth when on the same network as your server.