Nextcloud on rpi: USB disk recommendations?

For synchronisation between my various desktops / laptops I use a Nextcloud instance installed on an Rpi3 with a 3TByte USB disk (WD Elements), now, after 2 1/2 years of use the disk seems to be dying (smart selftest fails). I wonder if there are recommendations for a suitable replacement. Since the Raspberrypi does not have a SATA port, it has to be a USB disk again, I guess. But it should be a disk capable of dealing with the frequent read/write load Nextcloud causes. Are there any recommendation?

Basically you can use every kind of hard drive with a suitable hdd usb docking station/case.

Then you can also use hdds that are more made for NAS/24/7 operation. I e.g. use WD Red 3TB since öhm 5 years or something. I guess the quality of WD Elements is not too good, especially not for 24/7 as it is made for data storage/backup/mobile stuff where it just runs short durations.

Thanks. WD Red sounds like a good idea!

but the WD Red are “real” spinning server drives - no SSDs

I didn’t think of buying a 3 TB SSD. If they even exist, they must be still horribly expensive, am I wrong?

Edit: Just checked: 650 €+ per disk, that’s definitely too much.

ah wait. then I got your posting wrong. it sounded like you want to run something on USB power only.
…in that case…

I will certaintly take something with an external power supply again.

for smaller amounts I use a USB3 USB-Stick, which is locally mounted via symlinks.
the system on the SD-Card I set to readonly and did not have any failures since then

There are also hdd usb docking stations with two or more slots. This makes it easier to schedule backups via rsync script e.g. Personally I have a script that mounts the backup drive every night, dumps database to first drive and rsyncs it it, including nextcloud data to backup drive. That way I always have a current backup, if the main hdd breaks. On the other hand it also rsyncs wrong/accidently removed files, thus sufficient versions/trashbin of Nextcloud should be there.

WD Red for my impression is sufficient for smaller setups where actual disk I/O is not done all the time/from many users parallel. It is promoted to be 24/7 running stable but not 24/7 actively written. Just to keep in mind. Price/endurance was anyway really good that time I bought it.