Nextcloud on macOS Big Sur stops responding after a short while from opening it

Nextcloud version (eg, 20.0.5): 20.04
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 20.04): macOS Big Sur 11.2.3
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25): Not sure - it’s a hosted Nextcloud by Hetzner
PHP version (eg, 7.4): 7.4.13

The issue you are facing:

I have reinstalled macOS yesterday, then I installed the latest version of the desktop client yesterday night. The client always stops responding within a few minutes from opening it and I have to close it and reopening it, but it doesn’t help.

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? (Y/N):

Yes

Steps to replicate it:

1. Nothing particular, I just installed the latest version of the macOS client on Big Sur

The output of your Nextcloud log in Admin > Logging: Empty

The output of your config.php file in /path/to/nextcloud (make sure you remove any identifiable information!): I don’t have access to it, it’s a hosted Nextcloud service.

The output of your Apache/nginx/system log in /var/log/____: I don’t have access to it, it’s a hosted Nextcloud service.

Is this happening to other users on Big Sur with the latest client?

Thanks

I forgot to mention that this is on an M1 Mac (Apple silicon). But I was using the client before and didn’t have this problem so frequently.

Yes, same problem here on a M1 Silicon MBA

I don’t have an M1 Mac and face the same issue. It was working fine, until i updated to 3.4.2. then i reinstalled 3.4.1 but the issue persists.

Ok, to check what was causing the processor to heat up, i opened it in activity monitor and noticed a folder was the last point in the log. The folder had permission issue due it being on external storage and couldnt be written to. That was what was making it get stuck for me. Fixed.