Nextcloud Office not opening when using built-in Collabora CODE server

Hello. I have some troubles using Nextcloud Office together with the built-in Collabora CODE server.

First of all: I could successfully open .docx files using the Collabora demo server.

However, when I try to use the built-in CODE server, it raises the error:

Could not establish connection to the Collabora Online server."

What should I do? I’ve downloaded the “Built-in CODE server”-App from the Nextcloud-Store. However, when I go to the corresponding Admin-Settings, there are no real settings it just says:

Collabora Online - Built-in CODE Server

You have the Collabora Online app enabled. For further information and configuration, please check: Settings > Administration > Collabora Online

When I ignore all of this and try to open a .docx file, a fullscreen-modal pops up saying “Loading foo.docx” but it will never go further.

Thank you so much for your help.

PS: After visiting Collabora’s website I’m a bit confused: does one have to pay for their service, including the built-in CODE Server? Or does this only apply to Collabora servers hosted on their machines?

hi @lab welcome to the forum :handshake:

please follow this article for basic setup steps (lot of hints also apply to built-in) Nextcloud Collabora integration take a look at linked threads as well!

no CODE is open-source and one can use it for free. They strongly recommend supporting the project for “scale”

Thanks @wwe for your reply and help

I followed the guide, and I could display the status.php. However, I got stuck with

curl https://office.mydomain/hosting/discovery

As far as I interprete “office.mydomain” this is the (sub)domain of the self-hosted CODE-server (i.e. the richdocumentscode-App). My problem is, that I just used the Nextcloud-UI to install both, CODE and Office, as described in the nextcloud-blog. So I was not given a URL for this after installation…

I can, of course, also try to install everything via an SSH on my webserver, and then I would know more about the configuration. But I thought that I can get around this by just following the UI-installation… where do I miss something?

PS: I am indeed planning to support the project. But I hoped to get it work quickly with the CODE server and later invest in installing the faster server on-premise.

the key is

the url in somehow built at cloud.tld/custom_apps/richdocumentscode/proxy.php you will find it when you follow forum discussions.

1 Like