Nextcloud is not compatible with > PHP 7.3

Fedora 32
nextcloud-18.0.4.zip

Brave Browser: http://127.0.0.1/nextcloud/index.php

This version of Nextcloud is not compatible with > PHP 7.3. You are currently running 7.4.5.

What now?

Many thanks,
-T

Are you able to install a supported version of PHP?

it can technically work but it is not tested. So some apps or some functions might not work. Use a supported version if possible. The next version NC 19 will support php 7.4 (will be released next month).

Actually no. I have to stay with what Fedora 32 has in their respoitories

I personally run a Nextcloud instance (18.0.4) on PHP 7.4 without any issues. So you might just want to try it.

(But this is not a guarantee that it will work for you)

1 Like

What do I need to tweak to get it to run?

Are you saying that it’s refusing to run, or that you’re getting a warning but it’s otherwise operational?

Ubuntu used to offer the previous stable version in the repo under a different package name. You could build from source or use a PPA, if Fedora has something like that.

Nextcloud 18 forced me to upgrade to PHP 7.4 while i were on 7.3.

For the moment i am on php 7.4.5 with Nextcloud 18.0.4 without tweaking anything

@todd I think you have something wrong with your webserver conf… maybe on the Nextcloud vhost …

Can you post here your conf files ? (and erase before things like your IP address or FDQN)

First you either have to downgrade your PHP version to something like 7.3 or lower to upgrade to NC18. Afterwards you can use PHP 7.4 with it. There are several tutorials out there to tweek the “version check” of NC by hand to bypass this check. I recommend to temporary downgrade to PHP 7.3 or lower.

Then you might get problems with some write permissions as PHP 7.4 has implemented a more hardened version of php-fpm.

Here are two sources what has to be tweeked to get it up and running:

Hope this helps

I need the exact name and path

Sorry but in order to run Nextcloud you should know 3 things :
1 - Manipulating the WebServer (Apache or Nginx)
2 - Manipulating files and PHP Process
3 - Manipulating your Database : Mysql - MariaDB or Postgresql

If you’re a too young beginner on those domains you should learn more before (watching Tutos, trying and retrying installs…) or you can start using Nextcloud into VM or Docker Container, Everything is pre-build and up and running.

Your conf file should be in :
/etc/apache2/sites-avialables/
or /etc/nginx/conf.d/ or /etc/nginx/sites-avialables/

Don’t think i am rude, i started to learn linux because of Nextcloud (i was on Owncloud with Windows Server before and got a lot of bugs). I forged myself understanding Apache2 to then learn how to start up Nextcloud.
If you don’t know what you are doing, it’s like : i help you but you won’t really understand what was the problem and how it get fixed.

Nextcloud forced you to update PHP to a version it doesn’t support?

Yes !
i was installing Nextcloud 18 and when i wanted to access the Web GUI i got :
Nextcloud isn’t compatible with your PHP version : PHP 7.3
:upside_down_face:
I follow a HOW TO install NC 18 and the website help me with the configuration on PHP7.4, then Nextcloud get operational.

That’s interesting. So some are saying NC18 doesn’t support below PHP 7.3, and others saying it doesn’t support above PHP 7.3.

And both of my instances acted the same.
I thought that Nextcloud jumped to PHP 7.4 because of a feature that weren’t include in 7.3. Saying myself : how many servers will accept to use an external PPA for having php 7.4 for NextCloud 18.

For RPM distros their versions seem to make a difference, maybe the web server too. With Apache on CentOS 7 the NC error log was full of PHP errors that vanished after switching from PHP 7.4 to 7.3. There are patches on Github for PHP 7.4 (that fix errors but break integrity) so I think the “untested” idea holds water.

In any case, I’ve never seen a message from NC18 about incompatible PHP 7.3 or 7.4 but I think the safe bet is 7.3 until NC19 is stable. ownCloud notifies straight away that PHP 7.4 won’t work which probably prevents a lot of headaches.

Reference: Creating Apache Virtual Hosts with Enable/Disable Vhosts Options in RHEL/CentOS 7.0

" Virtual Hosting allows Apache Weberver to serve different content based on IP Address, hostname or used port number."

Maybe Fedora does things differently, but I do not have an site-availables directory
`# ls -aF /etc/httpd
./ …/ conf/ conf.d/ conf.modules.d/ logs@ modules@ run@ state@

`# tail -n 4 conf/httpd.conf

# Supplemental configuration #
# Load config files in the "/etc/httpd/conf.d" directory, if any. IncludeOptional conf.d/*.conf

`# ls -aF conf.d
./ …/ autoindex.conf php.conf README userdir.conf welcome.conf

I have a
conf.d/php.conf
but there is nothing in it I can see about revisions

Not sure why I would need one either. The ONLY thing this server is going to be used for is Nextcloud and the firewall will regulate who gets through to it.

Right now, the ONLY piece of information I am after is how to get it running with my version of PHP.

Thank you for the help anyway

dnf downgrade php

only gives me the option of going to 7.4.4-1.fc32

Is this what you are referring to?
https://docs.nextcloud.com/server/18/admin_manual/installation/index.html
or

Note: RHEL (old out-of-date) is on PHP 7.3

Where did you find your how to?