Nextcloud introduces Virtual Drive in Desktop Client to simplify desktop integration

It is absolutely useless to me if ā€œno client = no filesā€ That completely breaks the work flow in my use case and seems highly suboptimal to others here. Please, please, please, pleaseā€¦ this is a canonical example of ā€œthe devs know what you need better than you do.ā€

Clearly there are users who would find the ā€œvirtual driveā€ mode useful, but the majority are begging you not to disable folder sync. If you insist on abandoning the existing user base, please take the time to create a stub fork of the last version with folder sync and commit to providing security patches until a team either takes it on or the existing user base migrates to a different solution that provides the necessary functionality.

10 Likes

Adding my two Euros to thisā€¦ I am not opposed to the ā€œdropbox onedriveā€ concept. I am opposed to remove of folder sync.

My application requires a modest amount of granularity and must be functional when the internet is not available. Folder sync works very well in my case.

A key design goal of my projects is to remove the dependency on central servers. If ā€œvirtual driveā€ works as I assume it does, then when the ā€œvirtual driveā€ not available to be ā€œmountedā€ my application is hamstrung. Increasing such dependency is contrary to our design goal.

I feel I am at a crossroads with the NextCloud project. Perhaps someone can offer a clear explanation of the current goal of the developers and what is likely to be supported in the future.

7 Likes

Indeed, some sort of official communication around this is becoming necessary. Iā€™ve been promoting Nextcloud based on the understanding that sync was a feature. If Virtual Drive is the solution to missing delta sync and the ability to have files stored locally, weā€™ll have to move to something else.

4 Likes

Agree. Iā€™ve loved NC for years, but if real sync goes away Iā€™ll have to look at other options. Steve Gibson pass on NC in his recent recent ā€œFile Syncā€ episode (https://twit.tv/shows/security-now/episodes/726), so maybe Iā€™ll have to go that way too.

4 Likes

I wouldnā€™t call Steve Gibsonā€™s show a pass on NC. He stated he learned about it the morning of the show and plans to load it and test it in the future. The show is over 2 hours but the discussion about his experiences with cloud storage starts at 1:30:00. At 1:59:12 he did state he is excited about NCā€™s ability to sync with existing folder structures and not have to move everything under one folder like other clouds. Precisely what NC would be giving up if it drops sync and implements virtual drive only.

6 Likes

Own cloud implemented Delta sync correct? Does anyone know if they plan to move to a virtual drive system?

Itā€™s already there in the final client but in a beta stage.
I used it intensively and i have some deadly bugs of folders disappearing.
You can test it. But be sure to have backups

2 Likes

+10000: please Nextcloud admins: Some sort of official communication would be highly appreciated.

4 Likes

The last commit on the github of Virtual Drive Tech Preview is from 13th of September.
So if the dev continue at this speed, we wonā€™t see this feature coming into the stable client.
I think that even with a lot of efforts, they will still have bugs that will prevent them from taking the decision ā€œDROP THE LEGACY SYNCā€.

Iā€™m trying to set that up on Dolphin, but it wonā€™t work. :frowning:

Just wondering, does it work the same way as OneDrive where we can download select files, and leave others in the cloud?

Would love this to work ! We use Mountain Duck for selective sync on deskptop client but I would switch instantly to a nextcloud client solution if it did the same :sunny:

Currently they plan to release the first stable version of Virtual Drive in Q1 2020.
I got this information from a sales person and thougt, you should know that, too. :slight_smile:

Canā€™t wait to test this feature, as I hope to get rid of those old fashioned network drives.

Do you think the Virtual Drive can replace a windows network drive?

1 Like

And the input is a resounding ā€œNO!!!ā€

**Just clarifying, yes I want Virtual Drive as I miss this from ownCloud, but no to removing full sync options as thatā€™s critical to many scenarios as no-one on the planet has 100% guaranteed Internet access

4 Likes

my first answer is also no, the fully synced drive makes sense to my familyā€¦ the virtual drive would mean that unless you set everything to sync you end up having to be onlineā€¦ or am I wrong ?

Cool feature. Good reading, high expectations.
:+1: :partying_face:

Happy hacking.
:sunflower:

My Opinion to virtual Drive :+1::clap::muscle:

We are moving towards replacing Fileserver with Nextcloud, so perfekt Feature for us.

Regards Franz

I think it is a nice feature, but I would like to have administrative control over which folders sync and donā€™t sync. Maybe at the group folder share level? I have faculty that we are using NextCloud as a type of low-end backup of their data in case of equipment failure and also for the sake of revisions for mistakes. Remembering to tick a folder to fully sync instead of selectively sync when a new one is created I fear will take away this benefit. I would like to have the capability, just donā€™t want to lose the capacity to have the full sync and also some administrative control to force the sync where needed due to less technical users.

Alan

2 Likes

Virtual drive is essential for my customers. Tech preview is not working since it requires tls v1.3 and my hosting provider provides tls v1.2.
On the other hand Owncloud does have this feature.
I have also checked if Nextcloud server works with Owncloud Client so I have managed to have virtual drive working in mixed environment (NextCloud server v16.0.6.1, OwnCloud Client 2.6.0).
On the other hand the OwnCloud client is complaining: ā€œThe Server version 16.0.6.1-Nextcloud is unsupported! Process at your own risk.ā€
My questions:

1. Is it a real risk?
  2. Will / when NextCloud Windows Sync Client with virtualdrive support - tech preview support tls v1.2?
  3. Will / when NextCloud Windows Sync Client with virtualdrive support - stable version support tls v1.2?
    Thanks,
    Peter

I wonder why they didnā€™t just take the code from Owncloud and integrate this feature into the Nextcloud client? Would have been a lot less work probably given that the desktop client suffers from manpower shortages anyway.

1 Like

Ofcourse it is a risk but so is using Nextcloud desktop.

I use a nextcloud server (16.x). For me the nextcloud client does not work but the owncloud client does (windows 10, client certificate). Someone I know also uses the owncloud client on his mac successfully.