NextCloud images for VMware or VirtualBox

Hello forum

Is there a way to explore the capabilities of NextClould without the need to install all the required components under Linux, e.g. by using/downloading a "ready to use VMware- or VirtualBox-image?

Surprisingly i was unable to find such images on the webā€¦ Are such images not available or do they have a special name?

Thank you for your help!

Joe

if you can enter two lines on the command line and wait 10-15 minutes youā€™ll have nc installed ready to log in.

see also here for the next version nc15

There is also Nachoā€™s NCP VM

Thank you very much splitt3r for the help!

Joe

1 Like

You can get several other versions of the Nextcloud VM here: https://www.hanssonit.se/nextcloud-vm/

That is if you run Hyper-V, or just want a pre-configured larger sized VM to start with. Itā€™s built with the same scripts as the one from Github as T&M Hansson IT provides the main VM for Nextcloud.

1 Like

Thankā€™s guys for the helpful feedback!

What could the reason that many different ā€œprovidersā€ do offer such NextCloud images? Do they contain eva-versions of plug-ins?

Thank you!
Joe

The main ā€œofficialā€ version of the Nextcloud VM is the one I linked. Then there are many others that forked that repo or made their own installation scripts due to their own preference. Maybe some people do is as a way of learning (I did a few years back), and some people maybe want to use ā€œcutting-edgeā€ dependencies, and some people may have other reasons.

There are equally amount of opinions as there are people and everyone doesnā€™t like exactly the same stuff.

My two centsā€¦

1 Like

Sorry about that question about the ā€œsizeā€ of those VMā€™s (40GB, 500GB, 1TB, 2TB),
are that disk-quotas/size-limitations?

Thank you very much!

Joe

Yes thatā€™s correct. They come in pre-packaged sizes. If you want a custom size, please send me a PM or email.

Thankā€™s a lot for the feedback!

I am trying to use/import the 1.9GB Nextcloud_VM_www.hanssonit.se.ova into VirtualBox 5.2 running under LinuxMint and the following happen:
File -> Import Appliance -> Next -> Import -> failed to import appliance

Failed to import appliance /media/mint/BU/VMs-test/Nextcloud_VM_www.hanssonit.se.ova.

Could not create the imported medium ā€˜/root/VirtualBox VMs/vm/Nextcloud_VM_www.hanssonit.se-disk1.vmdkā€™.

VMDK: cannot write allocated data block in ā€˜/root/VirtualBox VMs/vm/Nextcloud_VM_www.hanssonit.se-disk1.vmdkā€™ (VERR_DISK_FULL).

Result Code: VBOX_E_FILE_ERROR (0x80BB0004)
Component: ApplianceWrap
Interface: IAppliance {8398f026-4add-4474-5bc3-2f9f2140b23e}

Thank you!

Joe

PS
I am able to import a 15gb Windows 7.vhd to VB 5.2 without any problems

Hi, sorry for the late response.

Hereā€™s a video tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOHmwGJUKM4

Though Iā€™d recommend VMware.

VMware Player is free, so give it a shot. :slight_smile: Hereā€™s some documentation: https://docs.hanssonit.se/s/W6fMouPiqQz3_Mog/virtual-machines-vm/d/W6fMquPiqQz3_Moi/nextcloud-vm

Dear Enoch85,

Iā€™m using nextcloud on univention now. I incresed the disk to 2TB. But when I login to the NextCloud Mobile clients, the maximum storage still 39,7GB. How do I configure to use maximum of storage (2TB).
Thank you.!
Here is my Storage and Next Cloud App

Hi everyones,

I founded solutions here.

Thanks all

Iā€™m not familiar with the Univention VM, but if itā€™s on EXT4 and LVM (the filesystem) you should ve able to use this guide: https://www.techandme.se/not-enough-space/

Good luck!

Best Regards
Daniel Hansson
T&M Hansson IT AB
https://www.hanssonit.se

Sent from ProtonMail mobile, encrypted email based in Switzerland.

Sorry for typos.

-------- Originalmeddelande --------
PĆ„ 17 juni 2019 05:50, Nam BĆ¹i HoĆ ng via Nextcloud community < noreply@nextcloud.com> skrev:

Is there a custom image that has a 200gb size? or is it possible to get one with a 200gb? @enoch85

There are a couple virtual appliances you can try. I didnā€™t like them personally.

Another pretty easy method is to install Ubuntu and install the snap version which is actually presented as an option during OS installation. This version has some limitations, but is very simple to install and set up. You practically donā€™t have to do anything but snap install nextcloud and log into the web interface.

@averagecdn Actually, all VMs are thin, which means that if you get the 500 GB version you donā€™t need 500 GB in physical hard disk space as the space are accumulated once you add data to it.

You have different options when it comes to installing. Choose the one that suits you best.

The 500 GB version can be found here.

@KarlF12 May I ask why you didnā€™t like them? Too many options? Something didnā€™t work?

Then I can set a quota limit for the person so that they canā€™t exceed the available disk?

Yes, thatā€™s correct. You can set a quota for each user in the GUI. :+1:

Youā€™ll have to watch your disk usage carefully if you over-provision storage because if the host disk gets full itā€™ll crash on you and be a pain to fix. Also keep in mind that thin provisioned disks usually donā€™t shrink. Disk space is allocated as itā€™s written to for the first time, and so over time they can grow to their full size even if the disk usage isnā€™t that much. Itā€™s a risky approach.

One way you can mitigate this is to shrink the partition on the thin provisioned disk. This will limit the growth over time to the disk areas covered by the partition, but it may be a lot of trouble to go to depending on the setup.

@enoch85 The Univention appliance was unintuitive and honestly felt like it was loaded down with stuff I didnā€™t want. I donā€™t need an app store on my server trying to sell me stuff. The other appliance didnā€™t have an appropriate size for free, so I never tried it.

I prefer to install it myself on a platform Iā€™m familiar with. The only reason I looked at them was because at the time Collabora was giving me a lot of trouble.