Nextcloud DNS access from home network issue

Hi everyone )

I have been using Nextcloud with no problems for over a year. I use it on a rasp pi direct into my router. I have one computer which only updates over the local network and a laptop which I have been updating via a DNS service. My problem is that the laptop no longer updates from the server when I am at home via my local network. It would seem like I no longer able to update from the server through my DNS address if I am o the same network as the server. I can update and access the files no problem if I access from another external network.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to solve this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

H

What it sounds like is your attempting to connect to the external port of your router from the internal port. This rarely works, so I don’t know why it would have worked and then recently stopped.

What you need to do is point your nextcloud domain name to your rasp pi local ip address, you can do this in a number of ways

1. Update your Host file dynamically (I’m assuming windows):
  1. Intercept your DNS queries at you router/firewall. Some routers have a sort of Host file that you can use to re-direct to local computers. I use the ipfire firewall and that also has a host section. You just have to make sure you set your computers DNS to the router/firewall.

2. Setup DNSMASQ or something similar on your pi and set that as your local DNS. Note These are my old notes from my old Debian server

DNS Spoffing - See this guide for further details

1. apt-get install dnsmasq-base

2. sudo nano /etc/dnsmasq.conf

Paste:

no-dhcp-interface=
server=8.8.8.8
server=8.8.4.4

no-hosts
addn-hosts=/etc/dnsmasq.hosts
  1. sudo nano /etc/dnsmasq.hosts

Enter your rasp pi IP + Domain like so:

10.1.1.3 example.tld

Thanks for your reply, yes its strange….essentially I had a DNS Loopback working, like you say going out of a port and back in through my DNS server. It connects all ok if I am on a different network, I can connect and see all my files no problem. The host file is pointing correctly, so Im a little confused as to how all of a sudden it no longer connects when Im on the home network.

Until I find the solution I will just have to convert my settings to the lan address.

Thanks for your help

H

Well You could use dig or nslookup to try and find out what’s going on

Digg for Windows - Guide How to use dig

Guide How to use nslookup

Also if it’s the windows host file you’re talking about there is a possibility you might of accidentally changed the permissions on the file. I recently had that issue. Make sure the user group Users can read it.