Nextcloud.com Has Been Blacklisted Somewhere

I am in Arkansas, in the United States of America, and am running an installation of Nextcloud v 25.

The Nextcloud website, nextcloud.com, is blocked. I cannot even ping the IP address from my terminal app. The only way to access it is to run a VPN on my laptop, and then either manually download and install updates, access the website, etc.

I contacted my local ISP, and apparently nextcloud.com is blocked for one of various reasons. They get IP addresses to block from managed sources they subscribe to. When they temporarily put me outside their mitigated zone, where I was open to the Internet without protection, I was able to ping your IP address.

My point is this: apparently someone has spoofed your IP address and had bad traffic such that you got blacklisted somewhere as needing to be blocked. I’m sure I’m not the only one to not be able to get to you.

Please investigate, and resolve the blacklisting situation with whichever service has you listed. It will help more people be able to use your software, and keep their installations updated… and, of course, it will help me too.

1 Like

Hey @LuvMeDew and welcome to the community forum of Nextcloud.

Thanks for letting us know about this problem… I am gonna forward this message to some responsible person(s)

Though it would be nice if you could give us some more hints… like: who is your local ISP, which reason was our URL blacklisted for exactly, which service did they sign to?

again: thanks for letting us know

Name and website? Cannot help out until you tell us.

I have a call in with the ISP to hopefully get that information, and will follow up.

I went to sitechecker.pro, and they said:

Page has more than 100 external links

Page has outgoing links with malformed href data

Has only one followed internal linking URL

Page has an anchored image with no alt text

Page has internal links to 4xx pages

Has a link with an empty href attribute

Has an internal link with no anchor text

Page has internal backlinks with the same anchor

Page has less than 10 internal backlinks

Page has more than 10 external links

Didn’t see anything about malicious traffic or anything.

Apparently, it is a country-related block they are depending on. The tech support for my ISP sent me this:

The IP address that nextcloud currently resolves to is Ukrainian and that country (UA) is currently blacklisted for all traffic.

AT63 is the blacklisting code.

Unless you just feel like relocating your server to a more country-neutral data center, I guess I, and others with similar ISP situations are out of luck.

1 Like

Apparently, it is a country-related block they are depending on. The tech support for my ISP sent me this.

The IP address that nextcloud currently resolves to is Ukrainian and that country (UA) is currently blacklisted for all traffic.

AT63 is the blacklisting code.

Unless you just feel like relocating your server to a more country-neutral data center, I guess I, and others with similar ISP situations are out of luck.

Sounds like maybe the ISP’s geoip database is faulty. I checked several sources, and every one came back with that IP as Finland.

Wow! That’s really messed up, then if it is showing something other than Germany for so many lookups! I guess something really HAS gotten out of whack. If you do an ARIN reverse IP lookup, it correctly shows it being located in Germany.

Well if they subscribe to such a service, I’d complain and ask for a payback. Also if they are paying customers, they have perhaps a direct access to customer service to escalate this faster than if asked by a “random” website.

Why are websites from Ukraine blocked?

edit: just to make sure, Nextcloud is trying to get removed. But it’s probably good to let your ISP know they use a shady service that creates quite some collateral damage.

My ISP contacted me saying they’ve opened a ticket with RioRey, which is apparently a company that specializes in DDoS protection? I would have thought they would have been more on top of things and caught it themselves, but what do I know. Wouldn’t they do reverse IP registry lookups from the owners of the IP address in question the first time it crossed their Internet DDoS appliance, rather than going from old information somewhere? Maybe someone poisoned their information somehow? Whatever the case, I’m glad it is getting fixed so I won’t have to keep opening a VPN just to get to the Nextcloud website.

Maybe you should change your ISP. Interesting that he supposedly looks at the quality of each individual web page. Does he also block P**N? Freedom that Nextcloud also promises looks different.

Nextcloud is hosted at Hetzner (Finland),
part of ASN AS24940 AS24940 Hetzner Online GmbH details - IPinfo.io
(Hetzner GmbH (mostly Germany and Finland but also Ukraine).
95.217.53.155 IP Address Details - IPinfo.io
95.217.53.155 (nextcloud.com)
Network Tools: DNS,IP,Email

The ip address in your screenshot is wrong.

2 Likes

Yep, and only one IP block in this ASN is Ukrainian. Seems like a lot of collateral damage, even if this IP range would be blocked for legitimate reasons, which i doubt is the case. So the quality of these filter lists is definitely bad.

@LuvMeDew Your ISP should consider changing the vendor of their filter lists, and you should probably consider changing your ISP. :wink:

1 Like

My ISP wrote this:

I’ve applied their latest AS/CC file to our DDOS appliances.

I tested, and am posting here without a VPN!

Not sure how long it will take for other ISPs who use RioRey to have this resolved without intervention, but it appears to have been resolved on the backend.

Thanks to all who helped figure out what was going on! Appreciate all the help and the great community, and response!

5 Likes

I have looked again in your image.

Your image from your post above:
https://help.nextcloud.com/uploads/default/original/3X/9/8/987e33ba644450771a8e1057ef0dd0a13870686e.png

It is the flag of Ukraine but it is the ip address from nextcloud.com from Finland see my post above. Unfortunately, I do not understand.

Perhaps there really were attacks from nextcloud.com (95.217.53.155) to electroman.biz (69.4.196.98) or another virtual host on this server. AS20436 - Prairie Grove Telephone Co.

Best I understand it, the ISP depends on the DDoS company, RioRey, for having current information on what IP addresses are in GeoIP blocked locations.

RioRey had inaccurate information for the IP address of Nextcloud.com, which caused Nextcloud.com to be blocked by the ISP.

Either RioRey was hacked, which would be ironic, but upsetting, or they had not accurately resolved the geolocation of the Nextcloud IP address, due to not doing an ARIN lookup on the specific information associated with that IP address.

The information you were talking about was just from a quick lookup the ISP guy did using some IP lookup service he was familiar with.

It is interesting, however, that at least two IP lookup services were replying with inaccurate information about the IP address for Nextcloud. Makes me wonder if something bigger is going on than just the one IP address, or if it is just Nextcloud which was affected.

Or maybe it’s just a mistake. Computers and people make mistakes.

1 Like

So true! I sure do appreciate everyone working to find a solution!