Nextcloud -client refuses to start on boot

Nextcloud version: 15.0.7
Operating system and version: Ubuntu 18.04
Apache or nginx version: Apache 2
PHP version: 7.2

The issue you are facing:

I have the Nextcloud client set up on my computer (also Ubuntu 18.04) and it never starts on boot.

Is this the first time youā€™ve seen this error?: Always, since I started using Nextcloud

Steps to replicate it:

1. Click ā€˜Launch on System Startupā€™ in general settings.
  2. Restart
  3. Have to manually start the client

I should point out that Iā€™ve used the snap version, then removed it and install with apt, but I have the same problem

3 Likes

I also hit f12 to view the logs, and there was nothing there. I double-checked that the program was in my startup applications, and it is. I even tried to create a @reboot cron job for it. Nothing seems to get it going on boot.

This is frustrating because I often make changes on my desktop and my phone, and if the client doesnā€™t auto-start, then Iā€™m more likely to have conflicts.

Same problem here.

Did you find a solution?

Edit:
My workaround was adding it to autostart directly by GUI. But I assume this is not the expected behavior.

Iā€™m using Linux Mint 19.2 on Kernel 5.0.

It worked for me after correcting a wrong path to the nextcloud client in the existing file ~/.config/autostart/Nextcloud.desktop

For me it had to be /usr/bin/nextcloud instead of some path pointing to temporary folder.

2 Likes

It worked for me as well!
exec Path was pointing to something like
Exec=/tmp/.somethingā€¦/usr/bin/nextcloud
After setting it to
Exec=/usr/bin/nextcloud
it worked.

1 Like

This solution does not work for me in Ubuntu 20.04, the path was already correct.

the path /usr/bin/nextcloud is not always the correct one, it depends on how you installed the client. if it was installed with flatpak, try this

Exec=flatpak run com.nextcloud.desktopclient.nextcloud --background

Source: How to start Flatpak applications on boot up

Same problem with v 3.11 (I infer from clicking on ā€œHelpā€ and landing on the v3.11 help web page; the client has another bug where the ā€œinfoā€ panel in the settings is empty).

No flatpak and correct path.

I can easily run Nextcloud manually from a console and which nextcloud shows the same path as the one in the generated desktop entry file.

The other desktop entries in the autostart folder run fine and have the same permissions and owner.