Nextcloud client for Android OS - logout feature

I am very new to this website, so I hope not to offend anyone or waster their time.

I am using Nextcloud Client App for Android OS (found here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nextcloud.client).

One of the concerns that my girlfriend has is that the client cannot be exited/logged off. I could not find this feature anywhere.

Can this feature be added to kill the session and make it disappears from the process list, please?

why would you want that? it even would stop autoupload. plus i dunno if that would be possible without rooting.

ps: i moved this issue to a new subforum. it seems to fit better here.

My girlfriend’s concern is security of the fact that the app is visible and now someone knows to peruse the data.

As I mentioned, it’s really her concern, so I am bringing it up.

You can add a pin or figure to open / reopen the app in settings.

or fingerprint or whatever your device features as security. you just need to enable it within the app.

@Ralfi, what do you mean by that?

@JimmyKater how do you enable the fingerprint security feature within the app?

go to menu (those 3 parallel lines in the upper left corner) and then chose settings (2nd from the bottom) - then just activate App-PIN and chose device-setting…
… and if you have enabled fingerprints on your device it should work with fingerprints then

@ralfi and @JimmyKater, thanks for the tips. I was able to test them just now. I will have my girlfriend try this too, but I think its a great idea. I even feel more comfortable with this feature in place!

Thanks again!

1 Like

Here’s why I want to do it: I had trouble logging into my Nextcloud instance. It was just my user. Other users would work (I’m the server owner). I posted my problem here and worked with some people here but nothing worked! I would put in my username/password and it would grind it’s gears for a long time (like 30 seconds) then fail saying something like “Site not available”. Really? You were available enough to put up the login page and accept my username/password.

I finally gave up and decide to create another user and in the background move all of my files from the user I couldn’t log into to this new user. As I said I’m the server owner and I have access to the files directory so I could copy/move the actual files using OS-level commands. Even ran that PHP script to rescan all the files. It worked! As this new user, I could access the files. I decided the hell with all of the other Nextcloud thingies like contacts and calendars. Quite frankly I don’t use Nextcloud for that stuff - it’s way too slow and buggy - screw it. I then deleted my bad username, recreated it, and performed the move/copy thing again. Thus I got back to my normal username with all my files.

How does this relate to the Nextcloud app on Android and why do I want to log out? Well, I fear the Nextcloud app has old credentials and one thing I was relying on with the Nextcloud Android app was to upload photos. This stopped working. Thinking it’s a credentials problem. But I can’t log out so that I can log back in with the proper credentials.

My one thought was to remove the Android app and reinstall it but I would like to backup and restore my settings but the app also lacks the backup/restore functionality!

What do you mean not possible without rooting?!? Ever other app I run on my Android phone allows me to log out. Obviously rooting is not required. Coding the functionality… not that’s required. It’s just plain stupid not to allow a logout option! People may wish to share a phone and have different logins.

Attempting to clear storage first and it warns that settings will be deleted permanently - doesn’t give a way to back them up as I stated. Dumb.

Ok, do clearing storage does allow me to log in again but all my settings are removed.

@defaria

posting to an old (veeeeery old) thread wouldn’t help you in any way. Since there has been lots of new versions for either NC-server. Android OS itself, as well as Android NC.

As a matter of fact at least I can logout of my own account on Android NC-App. I’m running v3.23.1 - wanna know how? click upper symbol/pic on upper right corner - manage accounts - click on 3 dots from problematic account - delete account.

Sure it could have happened that Android app have got an hiccup once. So when such a thing happens it’s always best to open a new thread (and link to a similar one to show that you have done your searching on the forum) and give out as much informations about all problematic systems, your server-environment and maybe even logfiles.
Perhaps you had done this with the threads you were hinting towards…

But sometimes though there are problems that can’t be solved. That’s not nice, I know.

So you had your rant here… OK, I hope it was the last one in that tone as we don’t want this kind of language here on the forum.

You seem to be capable of getting to the point staying polite.

Two things - 1) I don’t normally check how old a post is and 2) you’re wrong - I have been helped before after posting toi an old thread.

Two words - current version

Ah, so the way to sign out is to delete your account. F’ing brilliant! (NOT)

I used to have a cartoon on my cubicle wall way back in the early 90s that had a picture of a chip and a word bubble that stated “Burp!”. Funny yes, however, it’s inaccurate. Apps don’t hiccup, nor do the burp. They have bugs.

Yes indeed. Some forums/apps/etc have good, responsive people there. This forum doesn’t seem to have them. This is based on my past experience on this forum and using Nextcloud software itself. So I gave up trying to pursue such issues here. For example, nobody helped me with my problem logging in and then started to get persnickety with me so I gave up. Then, after fixing the problem myself by totally redoing my user, I noticed the problem with my NC app not uploading photos anymore. But there’s no way to log out of the damn Android NC app (stupid - you can only delete your account!). So I googled it and it led me here. Old as the thread may be I decided to present another, a real-world instance where somebody may want to log out of the Android NC app. And, as old as this thread may be, there still doesn’t appear to be a way to log out! That makes this thread as relevant today as it was back then.

Every problem is solvable given enough time and $$$. But that’s not even the case here. Providing signout capabilities is something that 95% of all apps already provide!

Are you complaining about “screw it”? Really?!? What “kind of language” is it that you are referring to here?

You have the wrong idea if you think my aim is to be polite! I’m polite when treated politely and a damn mother-f**ker when you cross me. I don’t answer to you - you’re not my father.

nothing meaningful here to add?
so I am closing this thread

user gained a warning for their last posting. next one like this will get them out.