Nextcloud client config file linux

Hello

I changed my local folder name. Is it possible to change name in client config file so client will find folder again without remove and add account?

Also if this is not possible, where are the settings stored for client on linux (linux mint 18)?

They are not as expected in ~.nextcloud or ~.config/nextcloud

Thanks

Hi,

I ran into the same issue a while ago.
the config file is resides under ~/.local/share/data/Nextcloud/nextcloud.cfg

IMHO this should be added to the official documentation though:
https://docs.nextcloud.com/desktop/2.3/advancedusage.html#configuration-file

greetings

STonE

1 Like

Hello guys it seems the path to the cfg file has changed to /home/username/.config/Nextcloud this path is not deleted when nextcloud gets uninstalled please fix this!

Hello all,
I just set up a second Instance of Ubuntu 18.04 on a second Partition.
To set up nextcloud-client (Vers. 2.6.4) in the new Instance I had to copy both! (folders) of your suggestions.

1. ~/.local/share/data/Nextcloud/
  2. ~/.config/Nextcloud/
    If you have (like me) the same username you just need to make sure, you copy with the same owner or if you copy under root you have to change the owner to the copied files. I copied them as root using doublecommander and used the option β€œcopy with same owner”.
    Then I deinstalled nextcloud-client on my first Instance.
    Hope I could help.
    Michael

I added another Nextcloud installation and wanted to add it to my client.
I wanted my files for the two accounts to be in two different subfolders of ~/Nextcloud (like ~/Nextcloud/abcd and ~/Nextcloud/xyz) and not in ~/Nextcloud and ~/Nextcloud2 as it would be the case by default.

So I had to move the local folder for the existing installation first.

I just did it that way (no need to remove an account and recreate it)

1. exit nextcloud client
  2. move the content of ~/Nextcloud to ~/Nextcloud/abcd
  3. modify the configuration file /home/silvain/.config/Nextcloud/nextcloud.cfg:
    – modfy the line
    – 0\Folders\1\localPath=/home/silvain/Nextcloud/
    – into
    – 0\Folders\1\localPath=/home/silvain/Nextcloud/abcd
  4. Restart the Nextcloud client.

Then I added the second account and choose the local folder on installation.

Short answer:
If Nextcloud is installed through its normal DEB packages, not Flatpack):
/home/pablo/.config/Nextcloud

If Nextcloud is installed through Flatpack):
/home/pablo/.var/app/org.nextcloud.Nextcloud/config
or
/home/pablo/.var/app/com.nextcloud.desktopclient.nextcloud/config

Long history:

I have been running several versions of Nextcloud in Linux Mint Cinamon computers and some Windows, using several servers from different providers which give some Gb for free.

In Linux Mint, I notice that all the versions that one can install from the software manager have some issues, are old or both.

in December 2022 none of the options offered by the Linux Mint Software Manager are version 3.5.4, which is the one I found working flawless at the time (end of November, beginning of December).

In this one, the config file was stored at (if it is installed through its normal DEB packages, not Flatpack):
/home/pablo/.config/Nextcloud

There are 1 or 2 option shown in software manager offering 3.3.x, which are Flatpack (take a lot of disk space) and had some issues storing the SSL certificate of cloud.operationtulip.com (I need to approve trust on that self signed certificate every very few minutes) … hundreds of useless clicks per day. In them, the config file was stored at:
/home/pablo/.var/app/org.nextcloud.Nextcloud/config
or
/home/pablo/.var/app/com.nextcloud.desktopclient.nextcloud/config

There is another option shown in software manager, which is not Flatpack, but quite old (2.6.x) … and shown some limitations handling several accounts and issues with some nextcloud providers.
It is quite old so, there is not point in giving more information about it.

Because of all these issues, I would advise running the latest version or at least the last one in December 2022, which is 3.5.4, by adding its specific PPA:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nextcloud-devs/client

• sudo apt update*
  • sudo apt install nextcloud-client*

Thanks to the Nextcloud developers for such an amazing work.