Nextcloud client behaving strange in Fedora 33 (Gnome)

Hi,

Nextcloud version: 18.0.12
Operating system: Fedora 33 (Gnome)
Client version: 3.0.3

I’ve got a strange problem since updating to Fedora 33 and updating the Nextcloud client to 3.03

When I open Nextcloud client the app is now different. No window border so can’t be moved around. Only when pressing setting can I get back to the old look, but without the activity option etc.

I’ve attached 2 screenshots of how it looks below.
https://45.32.115.120/s/dD4BaRPidyowNTa
https://45.32.115.120/s/HTNS5wnQwZ67cwx

Has anyone else experienced this?

Best regards
Benson

1 Like

Here it also often the window disappears immediately after opening it. Don’t know where to. :face_with_monocle:
When I try to launch from command line:

$ nextcloud
Warning: Ignoring XDG_SESSION_TYPE=wayland on Gnome. Use QT_QPA_PLATFORM=wayland to run on Wayland anyway.
nextcloud.gui.application: Already running, exiting...

I believe these are known issue with Wayland and QT5

@Henry78 try running: QT_QPA_PLATFORM=xcb nextcloud and see if it helps.

I still don’t have a full picture of the problem, but the long version of the story is more or less this: Fedora now ships Gnome with Wayland as graphic backend by default, Xorg is being deprecated.

Now every GUI toolkit (GTK, QT, …) will have to use Wayland, and after 12 years the support is not yet complete in the ecosystem. Namely QT is the culprit here. The nextcloud GUI client is built on top of QT. QT applications will try to use the wayland backend, it’s like you launch nextcloud with QT_QPA_PLATFORM=wayland nextcloud.

Since wayland support is not yet complete in QT, you can try forcing QT_QPA_PLATFORM=xcb and QT will use the xwayland backend, which is a sort of compatibility layer between an Xorg client and the wayland compositor.

I am on a Debian bullseye using Wayland and Sway and I must have xwayland installed to run nextcloud, pretty annoying but at least there’a workaround.

I will update this thread as I learn more.

hope this helps.

More on this at this link: