nextCloud client 2.2.3.4 | Time for Syncing

I use nextCloud and ownCloud parallel for testing.

The client 2.2.3.x I use externally primarily, outside of the local network. I connect to the server and manage 17 directories with about 10-11 GB of content. Unless that’s okay. However, I have a distinct difference whether I manage this over nextcloud or ownCloud server.

If the client accesses to the ownCloud server (v9.1.0.x) to that directories the icons in the client are relatively fast green (of blue), and the synchronization is completed quickly, depending on the data volume.

Contrast to this, if the client accesses to the nextCloud server (v10.0.0) to the directories the client read and compare for hours and with the time all directories are active and the icons blue.

Because otherwise everything works, is the only possible explanation that the nextCloud software uses a different algorithm against the ownCloud software. After all, a reversion to the ownCloud server brings the symbols after a relatively short time to green again.

No, normally the client should work with both versions. You can open a logging window in the client (F12) and perhaps also have a look in the server logs.
The number and size of files to be synced is roughly the same? And you sync ownCloud and Nextcloud content to different folders on the client?

In nextCloud and ownCloud I only use External Storage, it means “Shared Folders” of Synology. The table of these folders are the same in nextCloud and ownCloud.

But in the client, I use not the same folders or such things, I use only a folder supported from nextCloud or from ownCloud server, I switch this in the cfg-file with the adress ending …/nextcloud or …/owncloud. But I doesn´t use a same folder in a nextCloud connection and also in a ownCloud connection.

In this way, I also think about the certificates of the servers, but I´m not use https, so I think this is not the issue, but I don´t know.

What can you say about the algorithm of nextCloud, is this really not the same to ownCloud?

It seems to me that you’re sharing the same folder to 2 different clouds, correct?

If you see the serverside, yes, so e.g. in the External Storage list I use the folder “/volume1/photo” on both cloud platforms nextCloud and ownCloud.

But not over the client. With the client I connect either nextCloud or ownCloud to a folder such “/volume1/photo”.

It only seems to be a performance problem of the nextcloud server software. If I reduce the data transfer to a minimum, also the nextcloud client goes ready and all icons go to green. If I go back to the regular data traffic, over the time all icons go to blue and the client works endlessly. If then the address change from nextCloud- the ownCloud server, will gradually turn green after all icons.

Same result with ownCloud client. The problem is visible also during starting. If the client connects to a ownCloud instance, the change of the icons from grey to blue went much faster against with a connection to a nextCloud instance.

So it seems, the client of ownCloud is the same as nextCloud, it´s only paintbrushing from ownCloud to nextCloud.

@Andy64 Can you give us some numbers? How many files do you sync (total amount was 10-11 GB)? What is the time difference until the symbol is green?

ownCloud and Nextcloud run on the same server, they share the same /volume1/photo-directory? Configuration of both instances is the same (both use database, file-locking cache?)?

I use round about 28.800 files in 4.150 folders. When I start the client, the time difference until connection are 5-10 sec. between OC and NC. For different folders I use both OC and NC instances, so it´s visible. Also I use a second Synology server with different folders, on this server I only use NC in the client. In every time I start the client, this server in every time is the last, is connected, however, the time differences are not so big, but it´s visible.

Also this mix of NC and OC is running, when on my main Synology server with the high number of folders run over ownCloud, to have a round over all.

For first start and setting up OC and NC I use a script as follows:

OC:

$AUTOCONFIG = array(
“dbtype” => “mysql”,
“dbname” => “owncloud”,
“dbuser” => “root”,
“dbpass” => “xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx”,
“dbhost” => “localhost”,
“dbtableprefix” => “oc_”,
“adminlogin” => “admin”,
“adminpass” => “xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx”,
“directory” => “/volume1/web/owncloud/data”,