Nextcloud calendar public, other only via VPN accessible, Nginx

Nextcloud version (eg, 20.0.5): 26.0.3
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 20.04): Ubuntu 22
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25): Nginx
PHP version (eg, 7.4): php 8.2

Hello,

I use Nextcloud on vps with Nginx webserver. I restricted access to nextcloud only to specific public IPs. It is set by IPs for server block .

Is it possible to exclude Calendar (and caldav) and Appointments from this restriction?
I really don’t know how to write location rules into nginx server config .

Does somebody use similar setup?

Richard

Maybe. Technically, yes. But I suspect it would be a fairly fragile configuration.

I’d have to think through the authentication paths too - because it may not actually be possible at all practically speaking.

It’s designed to be all or nothing.

I’m not saying don’t give it a try if you feel like it, but it’s also going to be challenging to maintain (even more so if you’re not comfortable with that part of the configuration).

Another possibility (and one that is more following how things are designed) might be setting up a federated NC instance that is your public one while retaining your locked down (non-public) NC instance behind your VPN/firewall rules. :wink:

https://docs.nextcloud.com/server/latest/admin_manual/configuration_files/federated_cloud_sharing_configuration.html

Thank you for pointing me to a possible solution with two different instances. It can be suitable solution for me.
Richard