Nextcloud Box collabora

It could be easier to have a VPS on your preferred hosting provider (OVH, DigitalOcean, AWS) build or install Collabora there and connect it to your Box.

That i think is the least painful way to go.

Or install it at home on a amd64/x86 VM/box.
Apache is working right with it so far.

Having somebody else host kind of defeats the purpose for me. I’ve got an i5 box just sitting here waiting, if I could get detailed instructions that worked, that would be all I need. But, either I’ve forgotten everything I know (possible!), I can’t actually read (also possible! :slight_smile: ) or there are steps / requirements missing from the instructions I’ve seen.

I’d strongly prefer to not use docker – and am happy to spend the hours compiling, but that didn’t work, either.

Why not?
What was the issue?

Because it was supposed to be “run these commands and ‘poof’ everything works” – but that never happened for me. So, I got frustrated, spent days pounding my head against technology I’m not familiar with, and that likely has jaded my opinion.

So, I guess it’s mostly because I’m not at all familiar with Docker - I have no experience with it. I’ll use it if necessary, or if there is an advantage that I’m not seeing. Again, without any experience with them (containerized systems), it seems like a kind of mini-VM that’s less flexible… however, if it will “just work” I’m willing to give it another go.

Well, it’s not really like a “just work” it requires some previous configuration.
I have no inclination. for any.

• Docker is quicker to set up and comes with updates, but it is for small environments. (no more than 10 docs open simultaneously)
  • LibreOffice Online takes 4 to 8 hours to build, but virtually no limit, and comes without updates, you need to build each time.
  • Both are development tools, so in the long run you might expect some kind of bug, or you might not.

I’ve installed several instances and the only issues that i’ve found are when users have real enterprise firewall rules and horrific strict security.

I’m glad to know it’s possible! :smile:

Now, if you can provide me with some direction, or a single site with all the necessary info, I’d be eternally grateful! Here are some (by no means all) of the places I’ve been in search of instructions:

https://nextcloud.com/collaboraonline/

*HowTo:* Install Collabora Online on Ubuntu 16.04. (without Docker!) (thanks to Google Translate)
https://www.collaboraoffice.com/code/

A little about me – I’ve been an IT professional for 25 years. Network tech, network admin, webmaster, web application developer, and now application development manager. I don’t code or troubleshoot any more (well, any more than necessary for my personal projects), though I’m not completely without skills – dated though they may be. I’m not afraid to dig and “play,” nor am I averse to learning new things – but I’m not into this to learn new skills. I just want to get a system set up for my personal use, preferably with as little hassle as possible.

Oh – and I sincerely appreciate any info, guidance, or direction I can get on this.

Check the Virtual Machine repo at GitHub

It’s a good place to start and contribuye.

1 Like

Additional to that, better use apache instead of nginx. Since collabora 2.0 as I read in the forums, still no one got it running with that.

I am looking for further information to firewall rules for both installation types.
Maybe you can help?

Sorry, but i don’t find firewall rules amusing.
Have a look on the documentation and run tests, you’ll find much of what you need to know there.

Cheers.

Thanks for that! Reviewing my notes to myself, it looks like I was using Apache when I got it almost working. I’ll start down that rabbit hole again. :slight_smile:

Thanks!

That sounds promising. They don’t mention Collabora in the final configuration list, but I’ve sent an email asking. I hope they do!

Thanks.

Check the collabora.sh script
There you’ll see the straight process.

the poor raspberry will melt to a clump of coal after that :smiley:

Well, no need.
Since CODE container won’t run arm.
Only x86/amd64.

Tried that I think… I don’t remember where it died. If I don’t hear back from the VM guys, maybe I’ll try that again. I also just learned about ONLY OFFICE (https://serenity-networks.com/how-to-install-onlyoffice-document-server-for-nextcloud-fast-easy/) – thinking I’ll try that, too.

To be honest, the script had several flaws and no one reported back.
But since a week or two, @enoch85 and myself took them down.
Now it runs just fine. :thumbsup:

Please, if you find something bad report and you’ll be likely to get more help than if you don’t.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m guilty of not reporting problems… I just figured you guys were psychic or something. :slight_smile:

I’ll try giving it a try in the next couple of days and will let you know my results!

Thanks to everybody who is providing feedback and suggestions. I appreciate it!

1 Like

FYI; OpenOffice is not 100% “open source”. It’s somewhat proprietary software. You choose.

@Ark74 Thanks for helping folks out directing them in to the easiest solution. I will do a pre-release today so that everyone get the latest scripts.

Thanks! I wasn’t aware of that.

I’m trying again right now, using your scripts. Will reply with any difficulties I encounter!