Nextcloud Android 3.26.0 file upload conflict

Without rehashing the gory details of how Android development works (covered elsewhere), this is not possible if the app was to be available in the Google Play store.

There are API bumps required by Google periodically. And once you go forward you cannot go backwards. As with many things that people assume are simple, the real answer is: it’s complicated.

As for the bigger picture, from what I’ve seen: there have been several developers closely scrutinizing the code base in the area surrounding auto-uploads, uploads generally, file conflict management, upload state management, and notifications.

Various fixes and enhancement have been merged (not necessarily released unless you grab the Dev edition in F-Droid) and others are under review/testing for merging. Other refinements are proposed/under development.

If anyone is interested in moving things along faster: testing (even if not a developer) is helpful. Testing can take place with an entirely independent parallel app installation (i.e. it won’t impact your regular installation on your phone). Check the repository README for other ideas for helping out[1].

[1] GitHub - nextcloud/android: đŸ“± Nextcloud Android app

Version 3.28.0 did not fix it either.

Also Excessive file upload conflicts after update to 3.26.0 (not before) · Issue #11974 · nextcloud/android · GitHub is now Closed.
“AndyScherzinger added this to the Nextcloud App 3.29.0”

Will see what happens in 3.29.0

These things already plays for years now. I am using NC since 2019, and the problem always came back after a while.

To be honest I just ignore the problem, my photo’s are still uploading. I dont have huge battery drain

1 Like

True, I’m using android client since 2021 and this problem was always there. For me the sort of solution was to change in settings the action if file is already there from ask every time to skip.

You can try Les Pas for robust phone gallery backup and various other photo album management features too.

Nextcloud App 3.28.1 did not fix it either
despite [stable-3.28] Try to only process changed files for auto upload by backportbot[bot] · Pull Request #12735 · nextcloud/android · GitHub
in Nextcloud App 3.28.1 Milestone · GitHub

I see that more and more people say: “Well its been for me like this for years. Get used to it.”
Like it is same sort of a bug turned to a annoying feature.
Nextcloud is supposed to be a professional grade product used by corporations, governments. etc. And yet in this case it is acting worse than Microsoft. Even Microsoft fixes their bugs eventually.

It would be perfectly OK if Auto upload would be removed. Keeping it in a non working state just casts a bad light to the entire Nextcloud ecosystem.

Just to clarify things. For many users, myself included, the feature works perfectly fine without any issues or error messages, and then there are users who do receive “upload conflict” messages, but the feature still works as it should, respectively the photos are uploaded just fine, despite the conflict messages.

So, Just because you’re afraid that a few mainly cosmetic issues in a feature that your potential customers probably won’t use anyway might reduce your chances of “selling” Nextcloud to them, the developers should take that feature away from all users? :wink:

Again, for many users, the actual auto-upload works perfectly fine.

:smile: No, I do not sell or manage any Nextcloud server or service. I use it for my personal use.

But a few years ago I did manage a few instances for a company. Before I was a long time Sharepoint admin. That’s why I mentioned Microsoft in my previous post. Then I got the chance to partially switch to Nextcloud. It was such a difference. Finally something done right and not done my way and f
 you.

My intention is really not to nag. I began my carrier in help desk. And in private life is the same. Convincing normies, that they should use anything outside big tech is very difficult. If they encounter any weird anomaly, it becomes impossible.

So my “nagging” was not for me. I am well capable to work around bugs or switch to alternatives. I’m just sad if things, that have sentimental value for me, don’t do as good as they could.

But I am not a programmer and I can not contribute. I just respect everything that this project is. I apologize to any Nextcloud programmer that might have been annoyed by my writing. That was not my intention.

I used to have file upload conflicts for ages, but either the latest android app, or the NC29RC fixed it. Haven’t seen any file upload conflicts for weeks. It just works as it should, instantly uploading any new files or photos taken.

Finally I have some good news. At least for me. I hope that also for many if not for all.

Nextcloud app v. 3.29.0 solved file upload conflict for me.
Nextcloud server v. 28.0.4

Thanks to whoever solved this.
You’ve made a better product and a lot of people happy.
Thank you so much.