Nextcloud Android 3.1 app improves UI, 50% faster file listing and more

Originally published at: https://nextcloud.com/blog/nextcloud-android-3.1-app-improves-ui-50-faster-file-listing-and-more/

[caption id=“attachment_3614” align=“alignright” width=“181”] Nextcloud Android app v3[/caption]Straight from the Hackweek in Stuttgart, we release the Nextcloud 3.1 app with many small improvements, bug fixes and speed improvements.

What‘s new and improved?

Building on the strong 3.0 release just two months ago, this version delivers a series of improvements, including:
  • Improved support for Android 8.x Oreo
  • Significant performance improvements
  • UI and user experience improvements
  • Many bug fixes and stability enhancements
  • Updated support to keep offline files available

With over 45 closed and fixed bugs and 78 pull requests merged, users will notice small improvements all over. In particular the speed improvement in the file listing will be clear, especially on folders with many files, cutting the time it takes to show them in half!

Version 3.1 is available on the Google Play store and comes to FDroid soon!

Enjoy the new Android app and greetings from Stuttgart!

6 Likes

Congrats on the release!

Hi,
I think there is a bug in the restore contacts feature. I clicked on it by mistake and now I am stuck in it. I can’t come back to the main screen. When I hit the ‘back’ arrow, it always comes back to the restore contacts page.
Somebody else in the same case?

Hi leolivier,

I tried to reproduce this scenario and did not encounter any issue.

Steps:

1. Go to “.Contacts-Backup” directory
  2. tap on the .vcf file, the “Restore contacts” menu will open
  3. Back out of the menu using the “back arrow” from the upper left side of menu
  • Phone: Samsung S7 G930F
  • App: Nextcloud v. 3.1.0

Hi @AnythingIsFine
I cannot reproduce it myself anymore.
My steps were almost the same as yours except that I tapped a .vcf file from the “sending history” (not sure of the name as I’m using a French version).
When I had the issue, I arrived on a page with the whole contacts and the back arrow you mention.
Then I was totally unable to go back using the back arrow. The small “waiting loop” was running for 2 seconds and it came back to the restore contact screen.
I had to go in the Android settings to stop the application…

When I try this again, I get an (android?) menu proposing to use either my phone or Google or my e-mail application sync feature to restore the whole set of contacts and I don’t land on the restore contact page anymore.
Weird…

Phone: OnePlus 5
App: Nextcloud 3.1.0

Will there be something of a meaningful documentation of what the app actually does? The current documentation is stuck in version 1.0 and doesn’t explain what “automatic syncing” of files means in the context of the app (hint: it doesn’t mean syncing, it rather means something like up- or download; and automatic means that it does it automatically everytime you push the righ button). It is highly confusing when desktop and mobile clients use similar terminology for functionality that is actually quite different. Would be very helpful if we can at least check what the app is supposed to do. And pls don’t refer to the release notes; while they do give a hint about changes between versions, they don’t document functionality in any way. Thanks.

2 Likes