nextCloud and WCAG 2.0 - Accessibility

I submitted a question about this through the official form, but figured Iā€™d post it here too.

Iā€™ve been playing with nextCloud on and off for about six months. Idea is to launch a customer-facing file sharing site where

• my organization can post files
  • our customers get a notification of that post
  • they login and download

Easy peasy. And nextCloud does this very well.

However, my organizations review board is only green lighting solutions that are WCAG 2.0 compliant at a AA level. Accessibility is entirely foreign to me. I canā€™t find any mention in the docs/forums whether nextCloud 12 fulfills this requirement or not. The most Iā€™ve been able to do is throw my site at ChromeVox and that wasā€¦ unpleasant.

Can anyone comment about WCAG 2.0 AA compliance? Is the product compliant out of the box, or are the changes required much more than a simple edit to a custom template?

Thanks!
-Matt

2 Likes

You mean the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0?

I think in general the developers try to improve the accessibility and usability of the webinterface but I havenā€™t seen systematic checks of the compliance with WCQG 2.0. Are there any @jan @jospoortvliet ?

You can find the source code of Nextcloud at GitHub - nextcloud/server: ā˜ļø Nextcloud server, a safe home for all your data, so you can make checks yourself and propose improvements via the bugtracker (at the same link).

Appreciate the response.

I can spin up a server and install the software, but modifying source code is definitely not in my skill set at the moment. Iā€™ll make an attempt, but if anyone has anymore information about this, Iā€™d appreciate it!

Thanks again!

We have recently been asked the same question of Nextcloud on compliance with WCAG 2.0.

It would be good to understand whether this is something that is being considered for future development. One obvious challenge is extending compliance to plug-ins developed by 3rd parties.

That could be an interesting topic/workshop for the Nextcloud conference. What do you think @jospoortvliet ?

Certainly something to discuss at the conf, yes - Jan, our lead designer will be there and usability and accessibility are things that I know matter a lot to him.

2 Likes

@Matt_Zulawski @sbird weā€™re regularly doing checks of some basic things and also improve a lot in existing areas when it comes to color contrast and so on. At some point in the past we did a full check and fixes to comply with some U.S. regulations (if I recall correctly) but of course things can change.

I will check about the status and see if any fixes are needed. Any help is of course appreciated, like putting the platform through testing tools, highlighting possible issues, even helping out by fixing them, etc. :slight_smile:

Thanks Jan.

When providing services to UK government funded bodies (for example Nextcloud servers) you are asked:

What accessibility standards does your web interface meet?

• WCAG 2.0 AAA
  • WCAG 2.0 AA or EN 301 549
  • WCAG 2.0 A
  • None or donā€™t know

I assume that Nextcloud is in the ā€œNone or donā€™t knowā€ category for now?

There are already some hints where to start:

and a more general page with linked guidelines:

These are good first issues and they are marked with help needed. Feel free to contribute.

For the design team, itā€™s perhaps a good idea to verify design changes systematically with these evaluation toolsā€¦

1 Like

I think that a procedure to obtain and maintain an accessibility certification would be a great plus for Nextcloud.
Especially as a lot of your clients are in the public sector and that could be a legal requirement.

@jospoortvliet maybe something for this year conference???

1 Like

We worked a lot on accessibility for Nextcloud 14: https://github.com/nextcloud/server/issues?utf8=āœ“&q=label%3A"feature%3A+accessibility"+

Among other things, the issues mentioend by @tflidd above are fixed.

@Matt_Zulawski and everyone: If you find any specific issues, please do report them on our issue tracker at https://github.com/nextcloud/server/issues/ and we will fix them. :slight_smile:

We are also working on better documentation on how we handle accessibility testing at https://github.com/nextcloud/documentation/issues/788, if you have any feedback please comment there.

Lastly, we do not have an official certification. We do aim to meet WCAG 2.0 AA standards, and with the High contrast theme which will come with Nextcloud 14, it could/should ideally also be WCAG 2.0 AAA, but more work is needed.

In general thereā€™s a lot of moving parts, and of course we canā€™t ensure that all the available apps on the app store are accessible. We do however try to do our best and often also fix things in community apps. Any help is appreciated ā€“ even opening an issue (and maybe suggesting a fix) helps a ton already. :slight_smile:

3 Likes