Nextcloud always returns 500 after disk full

I recently ran out of disk space on the partition for “/” on my server, without noticing it. Before I freed some space, NC did not work, and returned 500. Which is sensible.

Now that I have 5 Gb free, it still return 500, with no other info. The logs in /nextcloud/data/nextcloud.log do not show anything. The last three lines of that log file seem like a snapshot of the time the partition went full:

session_write_close(): write failed: No space left on device (28) at /nextcloud/lib/private/Session/Internal.php#104
session_write_close(): Failed to write session data (files). Please verify that the current setting of session.save_path is correct (/var/lib/php/sessions) at /nextcloud/lib/private/Session/Internal.php#104
sessio

Note that I include only the field message for each line, for clarity. Note also the last line is truncated. Most likely the “o” consumed the very last byte available on the partition.

But now, it is impossible to connect anymore. Any URL return 500, and nothing is added to the logs. Any idea how I can investigate this one? Or even hopefully how to solve it?

This is Nextcloud 11.0.1.

This question has first been posted at https://stackoverflow.com/questions/44634639/.

Hi there,

A 500 would be logged in your Apache error log. What’s that telling you at the moment?

Damn, I forgot about the Apache layer. It was clearly mentioned there that there was a connection error to the database.

Restarting MySQL solved the issue.

Thank you so much, and sorry for the noise, I should have thought about the Apache logs.

1 Like

Easily done :slight_smile: