Nextcloud AIO: Possible to hold back major updates?

On a standard Nextcloud AIO installation, is there a way to hold Nextcloud at version 24 but still be able to install minor version updates?

Reason I ask is as a policy we don’t update to “dot-oh” versions of anything. Usually we wait until at least the 2nd patch. Normally I would just hold off for a bit, but I had a patch (or at least container updates) pending for NC 24 at the time 25 came out. I’d like to I stay up to date on 24, but I think it may go to 25 instead if I try up update.

Hi, see GitHub - nextcloud/all-in-one: Nextcloud AIO stands for Nextcloud All In One and provides easy deployment and maintenance with most features included in this one Nextcloud instance.
And update to Nextcloud 25 · Issue #1280 · nextcloud/all-in-one · GitHub

2 Likes

Another possibility since recently is to use the build time tags which will disable container updates completely. However you will then need to update AIO on your own e.g. by switching the tag regularly as this cannot be done from AIO’s side then anymore.
See e.g. this tag: Docker Hub

@szaimen Hey sorry, my whole family got the flu, and the last couple weeks have been a bit of a rollercoaster. I’m just now circling back to this.

Thanks for the feedback. I don’t want to do anything that would cause problems down the road. Is there an easy way I can tell whether it will patch 24 or upgrade to 25 when I restart the containers?

This maybe? ENV NEXTCLOUD_VERSION 24.0.7 from https://github.com/nextcloud/all-in-one/blob/b027cdd2933ede2f072fb4259147d32cc0276572/Containers/nextcloud/Dockerfile#L110

No. This variable is only used during the building of the container.

However you can use the below advice in the worst case. But usually it should not be needed, see my first answer.

Sorry, I think I’ve missunderstood the question. AIO will always use the latest available release that was pushed to docker hub. So whatever is included in the container will get used. However before restarting you can check the changelog and/or indeed the main branch at all-in-one/Dockerfile at main · nextcloud/all-in-one · GitHub

Btw, all the best to your family! Get well soon!

1 Like

I am assuming the term build time tags refers to the normal docker hub :tag?

The AIO master only has one page of available tags and it’s not immediately clear what version each belongs to however:

Will the following procedure protect my system from the mandatory updates on a container restart which has disabled apps from v24 to v25?

1. amend my compose tag from :latest to :20221229_091124-latest (as of today) to hold me where I am today
  2. on a regular basis - review Github and ensure that the current latest is not a major bump
  3. if so - update the compose tag to that specific version

Yes, that should work. However you will obviously need to change the image tag and update the mastercontainer via docker-compose as the mastercontainer will no longer be able to update itself. Also you will miss dependency updates as well when witholding container updates but I suppose this is already known to you.

ok that’s clear, thank you!