Nextcloud 3.5.1 and MacOS High Sierra 10.13.6

Just tried to update the Nextcloud desktop client on MacOS 10.13.6 and it crashes when I try to start it.

The system requirements for the latest version have been increased to 10.14 according to this GitHub issue…

https://github.com/nextcloud/desktop/issues/4567#issuecomment-1130351259

It seems they are using a feature in the most recent version , which isn’t available in older versions of macOS.

In general you should use an OS version that is still supported by the manufacturer in order to be able to always use the latest version of the Desktop Client. Btw. High Sierra is End of Life since November 2020 and has not received any security updates since then…

1 Like

Your response implies throwing away perfectly good working hardware.
Are there any other solutions or work arounds for this situation available?

3 Likes

I’m just saying what the facts are. And yes companies like Apple and recently also Microsoft make hardware partly obsolete when they stop supporting it. It’s even more dramatic with smartphones and tablets or IOT devices. On older x86 Apple computers, you can at least still install alternative operating systems like Linux. An iPhone can only be used as a paperweight after Apple has discontinued support.

Of course, you can still use the device with the unsupported OS. However, doing so is not only a security risk, but less and less current software will run on it over time. That’s one of the reasons why I use standard x86 hardware with Linux. With that I can mostly decide when to buy a new device.

Install Linux!?

Sorry when I don’t have a better answer for this. But if Apple doesn’t offer any OS upgrades for your specific model anymore, there are only three feasable options imho:

• buy a new device
  • install another OS like Linux
  • stick with the old version of macOS and use software versions that still support it

Not sure, but maybe there are also hacky ways to install a newer macOS version on unsupported Apple hardware. Can’t help with that but it would certainly be novel having a hackintosh on genuine Apple hardware :wink:

1 Like

So Linux is the way to go.
Alright so be it.
Thanx for the swift reply!

[https://help.nextcloud.com/letter_avatar_proxy/v4/letter/b/71e660/45.png]bb77[https://help.nextcloud.com/u/bb77]
June 1

[https://help.nextcloud.com/letter_avatar_proxy/v4/letter/a/7bcc69/40.png]antoinem01:
Your response implies throwing away perfectly good working hardware.

I’m just saying what the facts are. And yes companies like Apple and
recently also Microsoft make hardware partly obsolete when they stop
supporting it. It’s even more dramatic with smartphones and tablets or
IOT devices. On older x86 Apple computers, you can at least still
install alternative operating systems like Linux. An iPhone you will
only be able to use as a paperweight if it gets no more support.

Of course, you can still use the device with the unsupported software,
with all the consequences that entails. The consequences of this are
not only that there are more and more security holes over time, but
also that more and more current software will no longer work. That’ one
of the reasons why I use standard x86 hardware with Linux. Because with
that I can mostly decide when to buy a new device and not the
manufacturer.

[https://help.nextcloud.com/letter_avatar_proxy/v4/letter/a/7bcc69/40.png]antoinem01:
Are there any other solutions or work arounds for this situation
available?

Install Linux? Sorry when I don’t have a better answer for this. But if
Apple doesn’t offer any OS upgrades for your specific model, there are
only three feasable options:

• stick with the old version of macOS and use software versions that
    still support it

• buy a new device

• install another OS like Linux

Or other workaround: syncthing or btsync/resillio
These are marked steps back in time.

Sure you could use other solutions instead of Nextcloud or you could simply continue to use an older version of the Nextcloud client that is still working with your macOS version. But all this does not change the fact that you are using an unsupported OS that has not received any security updates for almost two years. And no software vendor will guarantee you that you will be able to run future releases of their software on it…

I guess you are right.

It just bothers me to no end to throw out perfectly good hardware.
Eventually I’ll move to Linux. Feels better anyway.

Think I will move to Proton and their suite of services. To me this gives
the same services as my current NC instance and at same price point too.

I do not agree with that conclusion. Yes there may be no more security updates, but that is absolutely not a justification to throw all that hardware in the trash. It really depends on what you’re doing on the machine. If that machine is on a protected network and you’re not browsing the Internet on it nor using any downloaded applications, the security risks are, quite frankly, really limited. It’s a pity that the nextcloud client isn’t compiled with the options required for running it on 10.13. The problem here is not Apple, it’s nextcloud. Just my five cents.

1 Like

Not only are there no more secuirity updates, there are no more updates at all. I’m not a developer, but at some point you would have to develop and test two or three separate branches of a software, because software usually depends on APIs, libraries and features provided by the underlying OS, and those change over time.

Really!? Apple in particular is well-known for introducing changes with new macOS releases that break backwards compatibility.

Regardless of that, I don’t think it would be justified to spend time and effort to keep developing and testing the desktop client on any OS that is end of life. I mean it’s already hard enough to maintain at least some level of feature parity on all the OSs that are currently still supported by their vendors.

But feel free to backport and test current features of the desktop client on your “End of life” system…

…or just use the latest version of the client that is still working on your system.

Opinion here

I second the regret that older Macos’es are not supported anymore for this specific reason.
Of course Apple etc,
but still…

It makes me sad that we’re talking mostly about notification that broke it.
Something I disable anyways.

To me it would seem almost “visionary” on NC’s side to provide a working version, that can live without those new notifications, therefore enabling a host of still valid hardware, for another 2 or so years.

Yes that argument will break eventually, but seeing it is notifications it is about, it seems a tangential problem to me.

Regards
Manu

OMG, I finally got to selfhost NC25 for my family and now I can’t use nextcloud desktop latest version (with edit locally feature) because my very well working MacBookPro can run only 10.13.x… and this only for notifications? :sob:

Ok about Apple “practises” but NC is not Apple maybe a wayarond can be supporting notifications only if the system is >10.14?

p.s. or at least make it obvius requirements for specific features

Install Linux on it :wink:

Using OS versions that are still supported by their vendors is imho a pretty obvious requirement for using any computing device, especially if it is connected to the internet. On the other hand, using devices that are running unsupported OS versions, is like playing poker when it comes to software compatibility, and like playing Russian roulette when it comes to security. :wink:

Understood. As Linux is not going to be an option right now, at least untill I’m not selfhosting all the services I need. I’m going to try to update to Mojave with the dosdude1 patch.

1 Like

Here I am again after the upgrade of my MacbookPro 8,1 Late 2011 to Mojave (10.14.x) with Nextcloud Desktop 3.6.1. :smiley: :+1:

Thank you dosdude1!

@Doctor_Pi @antoinem01 @dg1sek @maweber

and thank you @bb77 too, you pushed me to try… and now maybe I solved some other issue with other apps :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Kintaro
I’m prepared to brute force the same machine type to 10.14 too.
How bad is the GPU support?
Is the second GPU working at all?

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:
Thanks

My MacBookPro doesn’t have a second GPU so I can’t help you.

I dind’t noticed changes in performance from High Sierra.