Nextcloud 23.0.0 offerred on Stable channel on release day?!

Nextcloud version (eg, 20.0.5): 22.2.3
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 20.04): Ubuntu 20.04
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25): Apache 2.4.25
PHP version (eg, 7.4): 7.4

The issue you are facing: Nextcloud 23.0.0 is available on launch day for “Stable” channel

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? (Y/N): Y

Steps to replicate it:

1. Go to params
  2. See for yourself :slight_smile:

So, the question is, is this how Nextcloud upgrades will be handled from now on?

Usually, major updates weren’t shown in the “Stable” channel until at least one “dot” update is made available.

My Nextcloud instance is not mission critical as it’s a personal instance. But I still value it very highly, thus not very enticed to upgrade on day 1 of a new major release. :slight_smile:

1 Like

you should read the announcements more carefully…

plus: Things like this has been discussed over and over again… with always the same answers (see above).

1 Like

I’m sorry but I don’t think your answer actually answers my question.

As per the announcement : If you don’t want to wait and upgrade sooner, this new release can be found in the beta channel.

I’m NOT on the beta channel, I’m on the stable channel.

Moreover, my question was relating to the fact that, usually, major updates are not showing in the stable channel before at least the first “dot” update.

So, my question remains : is this a change in philosophy?

1 Like

This is not the solution, this post from @JimmyKater indicates why the user has the problem. Reading docs to explain insanity is not a solution nor should it be acceptable to suggest that.

I’ve had this same very problem and had my time wasted due to it.

It is exactly as you think: 23.0.1 should enter stable once released estimated 12/1. It has not been released yet, but now the new functionality has been announced for us to consider.

If stability is your concern just resist the urge to update until bugs inevitably surface and get fixed, plus the many other apps will need to catch up. :+1:

@david.samson

I’m afraid you still can’t read correctly. You asked why it doesn’t show up in stable channel. And I gave you a citation from official announcement where you can READ (and understand) follwoing keywords… “staged roll out”, “could take up to 6 weeks”, “in case of problems we stop rolling out”.

This fully answers your question.

untrue. There are users who are presented an upgrade via stable-channel. Just not you. For which reason ever.

Not at all. It was always like that.

@Oclair
This rollout behaviour of NC isn’t insane at all. It’s pretty well thought through and makes sense for the benefit of ALL users. It was discussed on this forum several times before.

Fasten your seatbelts: Here’s another hint on how you could shorten the time you need to wait to have the update in stable-channel. Download it directly from download.nextcloud.com and install in manually. If you are capable of doing that (with the help of the manual it shouldn’t be any problem) - and whatever you decide to do: don’t forget to take backups BEFORE updating/upgrading.

@just
NC 23.0.0 is declared stable by definition. There has been several RC-versions which were tested ahead of release.
But of course no code is errorfree… And so it could happen that there might be even bigger glitches in the new code. If so they haven’t been found during betatesting. If it turns out that there really IS such a big error devs are gonna halt the rollout until it’s solved. Which is one of the reasons doing a so called staged rollout.
Anyways: NC 23.0.0 is considered to be “stable”.

You really don’t get it, do you?

I AM shown the upgrade to 23.0.0 even though I am on stable channel.

In any case, we’re not going anywhere with this… have a good evening.
See ya

so you’re one of the guys who are presented this upgrade in stable channel. Great. It proves everything right from what I said above.

And again: this marks no change in philsophy. it was always like that. just not for you. except for today. don’t forget to put a big mark in your calendar for today. IT HAPPENED!

right. Thus I’m closing this thread