Nextcloud 21 & Centos 7 & MariaDB 10

So I have Nextcloud 20.0.4 running on a Centos7 server with MariaDB 5.5.68 and the update page tells me that I need to get MariaDB 10.2 or higher to update to Nextcloud 21.

So I’m wondering what is the easiest way to get a compatible MariaDB onto my Centos7? Do I need to export & import the data from the old to the new database?

Hi @RobinL

I do not use CentOS but the MariaDB website has good documentation and they also offer packages for all popular Linux distributions.

https://mariadb.com/docs/operations/upgrades/

Hope that helps…

So I basically have to migrate the data manually from the old version to the new. The database can’t be updated in situ?

It’s really not that much to it. You just have to uninstall the old version, install the new version, move back the backups of the configuartion files if you changed anything in them and then execute sudo mariadb-upgrade, which migrates the database automatically. Just follow exactley the steps in the documntation and you’ll be fine. The backups are just in case something goes wrong and you have to move back to the old version. But you absolutley should do them unless your server is running in a VM and you have made a complete backup of the VM before.

Ok, thanks, that sounds straightforward enough.

One more small addition. For the following two commands in the documentation you have to log into the database…

Set the innodb_fast_shutdown system variable to 1:

SET GLOBAL innodb_fast_shutdown = 1;

Use XA RECOVER to confirm that there are no external XA transactions in a prepared state:

XA RECOVER;

I would recommend to do that. This ensures that the database is in a consistent state before you stop the service. And put Nexctcloud in maintanance mode before you start. Good luck. :slight_smile: