Nextcloud 16.0.1 and other updates out

Originally published at: https://nextcloud.com/blog/nextcloud-16.0.1-and-other-updates-out/

16We just put minor updates for Nextcloud 14, 15 and 16 on the download server! These minor releases include stability and security improvements and are designed to be a safe and quick upgrade. Customers can always count on our upgrade support if needed!

Please stay up to date with Nextcloud releases of both the server and its apps, for the safety of your data! Running web facing software without regular updates is risky and quite frankly, irresponsible.

important Nextcloud 14 is at the end of its public support cycle. Please, plan to upgrade to 15 at least over the next few weeks or inquire for a Nextcloud Subscription to continue to get security and bug fixes!

Changes

The changes are quite minor, with a series of bug fixes for small issues and user interface enhancements. Notable are a few improvements to our setup checks in the server administration screen, IE and Edge fixes, and probably the most serious fix in this update, fixing the uploading of files on some public links.

You can find the full 16.0.1, 15.0.8 and 14.0.11 changelogs on our website.

Stay safe: keep your server up-to-date!

Minor Nextcloud releases are security and functionality bug fixes, not rewrites of major systems that risk user data! We also do extensive testing, both in our code base and by upgrading a series of real-world systems to the test versions. This ensures that upgrades to minor releases are painless and reliable. As the updates not only fix feature issues but also security problems, it is a bad idea to not upgrade!

This is, of course, also true for apps: Keeping them updated has security benefits, besides the new features and other bug fixes.

If you are maintaining a mission-critical Nextcloud system for your enterprise, it is highly recommended that you get yourself some insurance (and job security… who gets blamed if the file handling system isn’t working as expected?). A hotline to the core Nextcloud developers is the best guarantee for reliable service for your users, and the job safety of you as system administrator.

I have updated from version 15.0.7 to version 16.0.1 and I am seeing that apparently does not connect to the NextCloud App Store, I have always kept updating the stable versions and this had never happened. Do you know the law? Is there any solution? Regards…

1 Like

Sometimes the App store doesn’t answer.
Try some hours later you should see something in it.

1 Like

It has been almost a week since I updated and there are no signs of the store. I give you one more fact, in the record it points me when I try to connect to the store
Thanks for the help

1 Like

I had a similar problem once and I believe it was related with the redis-server not being accesible. But I assume nextcloud would complain if that were the reason (probably in Settings -> Administration -> Overview?)

1 Like

In general configuration does not point me any error … exchanging with a friend told me that the same thing happened when he installed version 16.0.1 on a new server, in the end he had to put the series 15.xx

1 Like

I’m using a fresh installation of 16.0.1 and I don’t have any issues accessing the app store, either via the web UI or downloading apps using occ.

That said, this thread may help - in short, remove the apps.json entry from oc_filecache.

1 Like