Nextcloud 12 Beta Introduces the Next Generation of Secure Collaboration

Today, we released the beta of Nextcloud 12. This release redefines Enterprise File Sync and Share, bringing it to the next level with built in collaboration and communication capabilities. The Beta builds on the scalability and reliability improvements introduced with Nextcloud 11, bringing a combined doubling of performance and far improved scalability over their predecessors. It also increases security another step with new, innovative hardenings and protections. The final Nextcloud 12 release is planned for 3 weeks from now.

With this beta Nextcloud introduces extensions to sharing with multiple individual public links for a single share, Global Shares, social sharing and more. Communication has been integrated deeper with a global contact menu and integrated user profiles and screen sharing in the Video calls app. Push notifications let you know of calls or other events in real time and the Circles app lets users manage groups of other users on their own. The App Store has also been improved and with over 60 maintained applications is the best place to get new functionality.

Working with others was also improved across servers, federating activities so you can see changes on remote shares in your activity feed through an implementation of the ActivityPub API developed by the W3C.

Grab the zip file and get started!

Read on to learn more about these and other innovative features extending the lead Nextcloud has in the open source file sync and share space!

Read more in our blog:

3 Likes

To quote the article:

Administrators can create Global Shares for users. These make a shared folder structure available for different groups on a server. It can be helpful for organizations which want to integrate their existing Samba or Windows Server shares in Nextcloud, assigning specific external storages to groups.

Does this mean the SMB problems will be fixed in NC12? I think there was a submitted fix for syncing SMB/Samba changes with Nextcloud months ago, but it doesnā€™t seem to have made it into 11.0.3

@icewind I think this is your area of expertiseā€¦ :wink:

Why canā€™t I get it via the updater if I set channel to beta?

Is there a documentation of Global Shares somewhere?
I couldnā€™t find a pull request or issue for it.

My main question is - is there a possibility for a global share available to users, that is not downloaded by default by clients?

2 reasons:

• the updater app caches the state on the server, it doesnā€™t check every minute. So it might take some time. Switching to Daily and back to Beta (with a page reload in between) should help get your fix right away :wink:
  • Our updates are ā€˜stagedā€™. We start with giving the new release to 10% of the users, then 20% and so on. If youā€™re unlucky you get the next version much later than the lucky ones :smiley:

Cheers,
Jos

Thereā€™s no documentation atm, but it is simply a folder you create which is automatically shared with the group that you select.

WRT to what is downloaded by default, it depends on how ppl install the client. If they choose to download all their files you canā€™t configure on the central server that some should not be downloaded. I would always recommend users to only sync specific folders on their Nextcloud with specific local folders but I canā€™t tell ppl what to do :wink:

Hi, I think iā€™ve found a visualization problem.
If I click on an existing file, I click on the ā€œtabā€ sharing and add a txt file from the + the file is displayed 2 times but does not actually exist. If I reload the page, the second file disappears.

Ah, weird bugā€¦ Could you file an issue for it on https://github.com/nextcloud/server/issues ??

Sure! Done!

Global Shares sounds like a feature one of our clients wants - but right now I canā€™t see how to create one :slight_smile: Who needs to create the folder and where?

I found a bug in V12.0 that I canā€™t upload a files with a chinese characters nameļ¼Œbut I can uploads it when I rename it a English letter or number name.

Wait, is Global Shares also known as the app Group Folders? Thatā€™d do it :slight_smile:

Yeah, sorry for the confusing naming. I should have stuck with one name, not mix it up :smiley:

Oh, that is bad. It might have something to do with database limitations but if you have this on mysql please, file a bug and we can try to fix it!

Thank you! And I test it sucess in a other LAMP environmentļ¼Œtheir phpinfo like:

canā€™t upload files with chinese characters:

'./configure' '--prefix=/usr/local/php-7.0' '
--enable-fpm' '--with-fpm-user=www' '--with-fpm-group=www' '--with-config-file-path=/usr/local/php-7.0/etc' '--with-mysql=mysqlnd' '--with-mysqli=mysqlnd' '--with-pdo-mysql=mysqlnd' '--with-openssl' '--with-zlib' '--with-curl'
'--enable-ftp' '--with-gd' '--with-jpeg-dir' '--with-png-dir' '--with-freetype-dir'
'--enable-gd-native-ttf'
'--enable-mbstring'
'--enable-zip' '--with-iconv=/usr/local/libiconv-1.14' '--without-pear'
'--disable-fileinfo'

the phpinfo url is https://cloud.qianrong.me/phpinfo.php

sucess to upload files with chinese characters:

'./configure' '--prefix=/www/server/php/70' '--with-config-file-path=/www/server/php/70/etc' '
--enable-fpm' '--with-fpm-user=www' '--with-fpm-group=www' '--enable-mysqlnd' '--with-mysqli=mysqlnd' '--with-pdo-mysql=mysqlnd' '--with-iconv-dir'   '--with-freetype-dir=/usr/local/freetype' '--with-jpeg-dir' '--with-png-dir' '--with-zlib' '--with-libxml-dir=/usr'
'--enable-xml'
'--disable-rpath'
'--enable-bcmath'
'--enable-shmop' '
--enable-sysvsem'
'--enable-inline-optimization' '--with-curl=/usr/local/curl'
'--enable-mbregex'
'--enable-mbstring'
'--enable-intl' '--with-mcrypt'
'--enable-ftp' '--with-gd'
'--enable-gd-native-ttf' '--with-openssl' '--with-mhash'
'--enable-pcntl'
'--enable-sockets' '--with-xmlrpc'
'--enable-zip'
'--enable-soap' '--with-gettext'
'--disable-fileinfo'
'--enable-opcache'

the phpinfo url is http://zhaji.me/phpinfo.php

Could you please help me find what the problem is, Thank you very much!

Folks if youā€™re having issues please:

1. Search if it exists already
  2. If not, create a new topic providing the required info about your environment.