NexctloudPi on arm64?

That sounds great, thank you will look into this and report back.

Still there is the problem of nextcloudpi in combination with the 8gig rpi4, look into that issue before doing anything, i am not sure if it is solved yet

Okay nevermind, I got it to work by just installing the raspberry pi image of ubuntu server 20.04 64bit and then just installing nextcloud via snap and then following this dude’s guide.

So does all work properly?
have you been able to get only office or colabora running?

Neither OnlyOffice nor Collabora run on ARM architecture server installations of Nextcloud at all. This is well documented and simply not an option at this time. To run either, you must either setup an x86 tower machine or pay for a VPS to host it on Digital Ocean or similar. Good luck!

I certainly hope future iterations of Collabora will support ARM, as mentioned here on Github. OnlyOffice has switched away from a fully open license, so your best bet is to just jump ship on them if you hope to self host (or pay for their new licensing model).

edit: added a request for arm64 Collabora CODE architecture support as well.

1 Like

Mh it does, but not with nextcloudpi. The snap stuff gave me problems and then I installed the docker image (two times) which ended in desaster as well. I tried that install script, which is tailored for debian however and I was not in the mood of adjusting packages and other stuff.

I now do have a very stable installation on my ubuntu server 20.04 after following this dude’s guide. This was an interesting experience and I hope I never have to deal with PHP besides this, but it is now running very smoothly. I don’t know what I do if the slightest thing goes wrong because the setup seemed quite fragile, but these worries are offset by how stable it runs. I have tried out nextcloud over the years again and again and it used to be a real bad experience every time (esp. compared to my super stable seafile), but now all looks well.

Did it ever use more than 3GiB? Nope. slightly above 3 is as much as I can see, but I do not care about this anymore. It was a dumb idea of mine to buy a 8GB raspi just because I thought nextcloud would benefit from that. Netdata also shows me that not even the system as a whole ever benefitted from that as the whole system never consumed more than 3GiB…

I did not try out any office packages as I think they are not supported on arm64.

Basically: It is not worth of going through the hassle of getting arm64 to work with nextcloud as there is no benefit, but that guide linked above is really well made.

@Spekkk I’m going to completely disagree with you here, as I’ve been running arm64 docker builds of NextcloudPi for years. I’m using an Odroid (hence the long term support for arm64), but I’ve had no issues with switching to NCP’s arm64 builds for odroid at any time. It works perfectly. Only issue I’m aware of is the Raspberry Pi foundation taking so dang long to switch over to arm64 architecture and finally releasing the Pi 4.

I do not run the Pi 4 myself, but I can tell you the issue is not with arm64. The issue is with Pi taking forever to embrace it. If you run into issues, please report them here on the NextcloudPi github page.

1 Like

Look I don’t wanna shit on anyones work. I really appreciate the work everyone put into this. But everytime I installed nextcloudpi on a pi, I ran into problems eventually, I got errors in the webinterface or when I was uploading stuff in the client. It was a super unstable experience. That might just be my own stupidity since everyone else seems to just do fine with it.

With respect to the docker image, the instructions linked on the main page are from 2017 and marked as outdated. The linked newer document also from 2017 and does not contain all necessary info like the older document. So this is already a bad start. If you go into the documentation, there is yet another page with docker instructions. Even if everything worked out, I don’t know if I would want to rely on this. Little info about how everything works together. E.g. in the docker image, what stops me updating the 18.x nextcloud to 19.x? Well you can certainly start the updating process and right before the final step, nextcloud lists that the nextcloudpi app is incompatible, but there is no way back. And pressing the “update” button results in an update loop. If you want support, you are not just using nextcloud. You are not just using nextcloudpi. You are using some container that someone set up with nextcloudpi in it. Getting support for this or debugging gets really hard.

All I am saying is: If you hide complexity behind an abstraction level like a container, the thing must run absolutely flawlessly. If you see some problems in the logging settings or it is asking for a package that is missing, how do you maintain this in a docker or snap image? You just don’t have any visibility about the setup because everything has been done for you.
I joked above that the manual setup I followed feels fragile because I set everything up myself, but actually I can understand most of what I did (besides these PHP optimizations). I know what was installed and how I can debug this when things go wrong.

Its a little bit like using Arch over e.g. Ubuntu or Fedora: You set up everything yourself and learned along the way why things work the way they do. So when things break you are more likely to understand what is going on and how to fix it. Just the difference here is that mainstream linux distros like Ubuntu or Fedora are much more stable nowadays. So you don’t have to know how everything works together (although it helps). In my experience this is not the case with nextcloud(pi).

As for arm64: The raspberrypi foundation should’ve started with a arm64 when they released the pi4. It is a little crazy that they didn’t. (But they are probably also very busy.) I think using it as a (media) server is the #1 use case for many and can benefit from 8GB RAM. But in my case I use a Ubuntu Server 20.04 for arm64 from canonical. So not really any problem with “pi not embracing” the architecture.

2 Likes

Sorry i read not everything. But perhaps you can use Nextcloud with Ubuntu 20.04 LTS and this installation guide without Snap or Docker.

https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial/ubuntu-nginx-nextcloud/

If you like apache2 more then nginx use parts of this installation guide for Debian GNU/Linux

https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial/how-to-install-nextcloud-on-debian-10

As I wrote above, I already installed everything myself now and it works. Thank you.

Yes I’m aware of the documentation, that Colabora and OnlyOffice only run on x86 but there no other otions?
I have found this Post about QEMU for emulate a x86 Processor in arm64. I 'll try this, just for my personal education.

Thanks for this information, so I try Collabora first.

I my self had also serveral problems with getting Nextcloud running.
First I tryed nextcloudpi, but this dit not work, I dont remember what exactly did not work but I could not evan finish the installation, I think the activation process dit not work.
Then I tryed with snap on the Raspberry Pi OS and this also did not work.
Then I found this Guy’s guid and with this I could set it up and running.

I think ther is an issue with the 8GB RAM version of the Pi 4.

Really good points! Definitely agree that the only way to learn and understand the system is by building it yourself.

In this case, you have to log into your docker container to install packages, etc.

docker exec -it nextcloudpi bash

These changes can be submitted to the Nextcloudpi github page. They also have a documentation team, but it could certainly use more updates in relation to the main website. :slight_smile:

Yeah, it is riding that line of “be as helpful as possible” by making some decisions for you.

They do have an excellent community chat and the biggest benefit of their offering is maintaining a very conservative release cycle. Things do break when upgrading versions, especially if you are not involved in their chat group… I’ve balanced this by maintaining a secondary Odroid device I use just for possible upgrade breakage tests.

Glad you found a setup that works well for you! :exploding_head:

Thank you for your helpful response! I will keep an eye on this!

Hi All
Just for info purposes I installed and am running Ubuntu MATE 20.04.1 on the Raspberry Pi4 4gb from the official beta 2 image on the mate website. Getting NextCloud running is a simple process from the standard Ubuntu repos.

sudo apt update
sudo apt install nextcloud-desktop

And then simply login and start syncing.

Yeah that is the client software and this thread is about the server side.

So I tried the solution the Original poster had mentioned but I cant seem to get the results he is describing.

@just can you please help out with a link for the NCPs arm64 builds for odroid?
Am using an Odroid HC2 with NCP myself since several years, but this was 32bit from the beginning. Was considering to tryout Collabora in the same device, but without 64bit OS this would not work.
Thanks.

Ncp is built into the Armbian image itself.

https://www.armbian.com/download/

Accessible from:

$ sudo armbian-config

I also wrote a post about setting up Armbian docker here:

https://help.nextcloud.com/t/guide-to-getting-started-with-nextcloudpi-docker-in-2020/93396

Note 32bit device will only support 32bit architecture iirc